Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why would an ear infection cause intermittent pain three days into anti biotics?

(5 Posts)
NuhichNuhaymuh Wed 10-Apr-13 20:16:59

DS has an ear infection (9) had him at the GPs on Monday morning, at the time he was in constant pain, pale and had a slight temp. Inside of his ear was very red.

GP said it was a bad ear infection, and put him on antibiotic. Fever has now gone, and he looks a lot better, however he's complaining of pain still, however it's not constant, and seems to hit him suddenly and intensely, lasting a while.

I'm half cynical that he's saying it hurts because he's enjoying being off school and the attention <evil mother>

However it does seem real, and I've no experience of ear infections so don't know if intermittent pains can be systematic of an infection, or cojld it be something else, or could it be pretend.

I'm in that rotten situation where I've been to the gp now in two quickly succesive times so have already handed him €110 and won't have another €55 till Friday.

So can anyone shed any light if this is unusal?

DeWe Wed 10-Apr-13 20:22:17

It's usual for my ds who has phases of practically constant ear infections,.

In fact we were at ENT today and I mentioned that he does seem to, even when he hasn't got an ear infection, have intermittant ear pain (he doesn't tell me always, but you see him suddenly wince and clutch his ear-doesn't last long). The (very experienced) ENT consultant didn't seem at all worried, and explained that ds has quite a bit of wax/fluid round the drum and this can cause pain without an infection.

NuhichNuhaymuh Wed 10-Apr-13 20:30:22

Thanks for the prompt reply, So the chances are it's clearing up with the anti bs?

When the pain comes it seems to last about 20 mins or longer.

DeWe Wed 10-Apr-13 20:37:02

I certainly would leave it until the end of the course unless it becomes worse than that, or he develops a fever.

And that's from my perspective of knowing that he'd be free under the NHS, and knowing that I could call my GP and say he needs to be seen now, and would be.

NuhichNuhaymuh Wed 10-Apr-13 20:41:02

Thanks for that, I hate the fact that money means I don't go for advice or reassurance, but I hate more paying to hear it's nothing and to just wait!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now