Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Warts

(15 Posts)
Mother2many Wed 10-Apr-13 15:06:00

My 9 yr son has warts on his inner arm. The doc. has froze them off, (big ones) and yet they still return...in fact spread. I have now noticed them on his legs!

My adult children got them as a child/teen too, and they would grow on their fingers, and make it hard to hold a pencil... They have outgrown this, but I feel my youngest son's warts look/seem different....

Anyone else have this issue with their children? What did you end up doing? Did they spread on the too?

PollyEthelEileen Wed 10-Apr-13 15:10:42

My DD was quite warty for a few years. When she had a verruca, the GP advised doing nothing as removing it would mean that it would take longer to buildup antibodies.

She had several on the backs of her hands, which were a cosmetic problem only.

The only one we had treated was the one growing out of her nose. She saw a plastic surgeon who cut it out.

Shortly after that, all her warts vanished, so her immune system is finally strong enough.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 10-Apr-13 20:48:59

it sounds more like molluscum contagiosum rather than warts. They can last up to a couple of years. Both dd and ds have had it.

PollyEthelEileen Wed 10-Apr-13 20:57:19

Warts can last for years

bigbuttons Wed 10-Apr-13 21:00:28

Do you know what worked for one of my dd's when she had warts spreading all over her hands? Apple cider vinegar. After a few days they dropped off and never came back. Nothing else off the counter worked.I put some on some cotton wool and strapped it in place over night. Did this every night until they had gone.

PollyEthelEileen Wed 10-Apr-13 21:14:43

I don't think there is much of a scientific hypothesis to say that weak acids are effective against the HPV virus.

My DD's warts all vanished at once. I think it was just her time. I could think that there was something to do with having one of her warts excised, but there is no scientific reason for this.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 10-Apr-13 21:26:08

www.nhs.uk/conditions/molluscum-contagiosum/pages/introduction.aspx - do they look/sound like these?

PollyEthelEileen Wed 10-Apr-13 21:30:18

Those pictures are not anything like my DD had, who had warts confirmed by a very experienced GP, and plastic surgeon.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 10-Apr-13 21:45:33

PollyEthelEileen the link was directed at the OP as the 'warts' she is talking about are spreading to other parts of his body. DD's molluscum was in the crook of her arm and on her torso and even on her face.

bigbuttons Wed 10-Apr-13 22:16:02

I don't much care for scientific hypothesis, acv worked. One week over the counter stuff didn't and the next week I used acv and they were gone It's no coincidence that she had them and then didn't. Anyway, try it op, it certainly won't do any harm..

Mother2many Fri 12-Apr-13 14:50:10

ilovepowerhoop: yes, they do look like that...a few larger ones, and some smaller ones... sad

Sparrow8 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:51:07

Agree with bigbuttons! Both my dd and ds had warts on their backs and ds even had a couple on his forehead. Apple cider vinegar worked.

I used to pour the vinegar into the lid, pull off a small piece of cotton wool and put it in the lid so it would soak in the vinegar. Gently squeeze out excess but don't squeeze it too hard. Put cotton wool on the wart and place a band aid over the top. Put it on at night and change it in the morning. The wart will eventually change colour and go black and fall off. On some of dds warts it only took 24hours, others took 3 to 4 days but it definitely works!

Just be careful because the vinegar will burn the skin around the wart and they might say that it stings but stick with it. Just try to use a small piece of cotton wool that just covers the wart to minimize the redness that will occur on the skin.

Sparrow8 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:57:29

I also had a few warts on my inner arm about 2 years ago and used apple cider vinegar to get rid of them. I had never before had warts. And yes my ds/dd warts did spread. Dd still has scars on her back from having the warts burnt off only for them to return. They never returned after apple cider vinegar on any of us.

Purplehulk Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:13

would apple cider vinegar work on verrucas too, do you think? I hate the OTC stuff.

bigbuttons Sat 13-Apr-13 15:27:51

yes it should work on verrucas too try this link for info www.patient.co.uk/forums/discuss/vinegar-vinegar-and-more-vinegar-you-don-t-need-to-p--8283

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now