Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 3 year old son has decaying teeth

(7 Posts)
fmharee Tue 09-Apr-13 02:43:18

My 3 year old son has decaying teeth. his upper front teeth such as central incisor, lateral incisor, and canine are all gone and the rest of it are all decaying including some of his lower teeth. He always complain of having toothache and usually he got swollen face cause of toothache.. I really felt sorry for my son, It's all my fault! What shall I do?

Eastpoint Tue 09-Apr-13 06:05:05

What do you mean it's all your fault? What does your dentist suggest? Does your DS have proper enamel on his teeth? One of my DC has hypoplastic enamel which means their teeth rotted as they emerged as there is no hard surface.

Take him to your dentist & get him checked out.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 09-Apr-13 06:27:33

He needs go go to dentist who will give him antibiotics if needed, extract the teeth and take measures to protect his other teeth.

Does he haves bottle at night?

Do you use fluoride toothpaste?

Don't be too hard on yourself. But do take him to dentist immediately, if he hasn't been, he is in pain.

dribbleface Wed 10-Apr-13 20:51:29

My DS had 2 teeth removed at 4yrs due to decay. I felt/feel awful but looked very closely at his diet etc and its not that bad. He never had juice etc until 3, hardly any sweets/raisins. Brushed regularly.Certainly in comparison to friends children his dental regime was very good.

No advice but wanted you to know its not only you.

MrsDeVere Wed 10-Apr-13 21:02:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dribbleface Wed 10-Apr-13 21:29:22

Just googled the hypoplastic enamel mentioned above, sounds very much like my son, even down to the timings of which teeth are affected by illnesses at what times. DS1 had huge amounts of antibiotics from 5mths.

Was your son unwell as a young baby or you during pregnancy, won't change what needs to happen but may make you feel better.

Rainbowinthesky Wed 10-Apr-13 21:33:47

Dd virtually lost her front top and bottom teeth by the time she was 3 and we kept being told she was grinding although we never saw or heard her doing this. We got another opinion and went privately to have her teeth capped on Harley Street. We were told it was from breast milk.
I felt awful and cried a lot.
When she was 8 she was diagnosed with a chronic health condition nothing to do with either of these things which had actually caused her teeth to rot. She now has to use high fluoride toothpaste and will most likely have gold plates put on the back of her teeth when she is 18.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now