Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 year old with c pox!

(13 Posts)
tazmo Mon 08-Apr-13 21:26:30

She is covered and really struggling with pox on eyelids and in nappy area. She keeps crying but won't let me use anything. We tried piriton but she spat it out due to taste, she doesn't like the coolness of calamine and will only take paracetamol. Any other suggestions to make her more comfortable??? I can see she is starting to get pock marks and she keeps scratching. Urgh!!!!!

beautifulgirls Mon 08-Apr-13 21:35:52

Sounds like it might be worth a trip to the GP with her. Make sure they know she has chickenpox so they can keep her seated away from the main waiting room or be seen at the end of a clinic.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 08-Apr-13 21:37:11

Virasoothe is a gel and much nicer than calamine. As long as she's taking paracetamol it's a good sign.
Keep her cool, as she'll feel itchier (is that a word?) if she's warmer.
A bath with oats is quite soothing whilst theyre in it too. (Fill a pop sock with porridge oats and hang off a tap so water runs through it as the bath fills.)
Cut her nails, so it's harder to scratch.
And icelollys for fluids.

evertonmint Mon 08-Apr-13 21:47:50

Oat baths were the one thing that kept my 4yo and 2yo happy when they had pox. We just put oats straight in the bath - messy to ckean out but they loved pretending they were making porridge and stirring it smile I soaked some muslins in the bath and draped them over back, head, face etc which they enjoyed and really helped itchiness. We did 4 or 5 oat baths a day in the end. Really helped their itchiness and helped pass the time and avoid wall to wall cbeebies

BeaWheesht Mon 08-Apr-13 22:07:02

Dd was 14m when she had chickenpox and couldn't be persuaded to take piriton, the only thing which helped was bicarbonate of soda baths.

If you think dd could be bribed to take piriton it'd be worth it!

Otherwise poxcilin is also good.

scarletfingernail Mon 08-Apr-13 23:14:19

DD is currently suffering with CP and DS had it a fortnight ago.

DS managed ok with the oatmeal baths as described by Frustrated above. I used calamine cream on him rather than the lotion as he has excema and the cream was far better for him. It's a calamine and aqueous mix.

DD however has been in a right old state with it. I was recommended virasoothe by friends but couldn't get hold of any over the weekend so I ended up spending a tenner on poxclin. It's worked like magic, she's been so much happier since we've used it. It's a light, easy to apply foam/mousse type stuff.

Oh and a dose of Piriton at bedtime stops them itching at night and has the added bonus of a sedative effect so they get a good night's sleep.

scarletfingernail Mon 08-Apr-13 23:16:02

Oops just realised you've tried Piriton already. Can you mix it in a drink?

1969Sarah Tue 09-Apr-13 06:23:48

PoxClin mouse is brilliant. You can buy it or get prescription from GP. We were told not to use calamine as not recommended these days as the drying action makes itching worse.

coffeewineandchocolate Tue 09-Apr-13 06:25:57

Pox clin mousse and virasoothe gel. Try an own branded version of piriton

tazmo Tue 09-Apr-13 11:00:55

Thx for replies. She cried till 6 am. Poor girl really uncomfortable. She's off to the drs. I hope he can give something for relief. She clocked piriton in milk even when gave half dose. Hope she'll be amenable to a bath!

birdofthenorth Tue 09-Apr-13 23:39:02

DD suffering badly this week too. We are mixing Pirotin with callow (half a spoon of each) to mask the taste but resorted to giving it by syringe not spoon on her worst days (also up all night). Also using PoxClin which she hates being applied (although it's far easier than calamine) but obviously provides relief afterwards. Also oat baths -fill an old sock with porridge oats, tie up & swirl round bath for milky soothing affect.

birdofthenorth Tue 09-Apr-13 23:39:48

Calpol not callow, sorry!

MamaMimi Wed 10-Apr-13 00:18:39

My 8 yo dd had it first end of last year, followed by 3yo dd 2 weeks later.

Both had it terribly on their bottoms, like your dd in the nappy area, and the thing that really eased it there for dd1 was bepanthen nappy cream so we then used the same on dd2. We really smothered it on and it seemed to help by preventing the spots from coming into contact and irratating each other. This was the only thing that helped them during the night when that area seemed to be at it's most itchy.

We also did cool, bicarb of soda baths which we found helped them both and that dd1 said relieved the itching a lot. They weren't in the bath for long, just enough to work.

It is horrible to see them so obviously uncomfortable. Once the scabs start though it seems to ease up quite quickly.

Hope your dd is feeling much better soon, .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now