Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please help - DD has very red, watering eye with strange lump

(12 Posts)
PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Mon 08-Apr-13 19:24:01

Yesterday the white of DD's eye became red and started weeping, just like the start of conjunctivitis. However when putting her to bed this pm, we noticed a lump in the white of her left eye, on the side furthest from her nose.

DD doesn't seem to be in distress about it (other than complaining her eye is itchy, as you'd expect from conjunctivitis), and has no temp.

Due to her lack of distress and the fact it's on the white not the iris, I feel like going to the doctor tomorrow should be sufficient, but does anyone have any experience about this so i don't spend the entire night fretting that her eye is going to be irreperably damaged?

BeaWheesht Mon 08-Apr-13 19:25:23

Hmmm I think I'd call NHS to be honest.

barleysugar Mon 08-Apr-13 19:41:17

This is likely to be due to rubbing or itching, due to an allergic response to something. I get the exact same thing when I've stroked our cat!

You need Opticrom eye drops from the chemist which I'm afraid sting a bit, and take several days to get maximum effect.

If you go to the GP, ask for Opatanol, it's far superior but not available over the counter.

Please don't worry, it's just the histamine causing all the mast cells to increase the mucoid properties of the tear fluid. It looks horrendous but is quite harmless.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Mon 08-Apr-13 19:53:16

barleysugar thank you, what a reassuring post. It looks a lot like a pinguecula but as I said has come out of nowhere with this red watering eye. (Plus DD isn't an old lady!) What you suggest makes a lot of sense.

Bea I called BUPA healthline (you get through much quicker and I might as well use those pirates for something) and they said that it didn't sound A&E-worthy - the fact she went to sleep so quickly and had no temp. They said that doc tomorrow should be ok.

Poor little person. I have spent the last hour googling white lumps in eye and now my eyes are watering.

NatashaBee Mon 08-Apr-13 19:58:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Mon 08-Apr-13 20:03:53

natasha it's on the white of the eye not the eyelid, so not a stye/infected tear duct. It's very, very weird-looking.

Karoleann Mon 08-Apr-13 21:42:36

Google - nodular episcleritis its probably that.
Please note this is very different to scleritis which causes a LOT of pain.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Tue 09-Apr-13 11:36:37

I've got an emergency appt at 12.30. Have googled episcleritis and scared the willies out of me at the thought of underlying conditions like lupus and Chrohns. Fingers crossed it's just an allergic response.

Thanks again everyone

Jux Tue 09-Apr-13 11:43:24

Never google things affecting people you love!

Hope dd's OK, and she gets well again quickly.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Tue 09-Apr-13 15:06:57

Hi all, she has acute conjunctivitis.

The swelling is irritation of the membrane. She was told firmly by doc to stop rubbing it, which of course means she now can't leave it alone. 3 year olds!

I am so relieved. Not that I want her to have pink eye but at least I know what's going on!

barleysugar Tue 09-Apr-13 16:07:41

Great news ( in that its nothing serious). Would she wear some sunglasses for a bit to stop,her reaching up to her eye? Or a cold flannel on them?

Jux Tue 09-Apr-13 18:33:09

So glad it's nothing more serious.

When I was a child and had something or other (probably conjunctivitis) my mum put a sticking plaster across my eye - stuck on my forehead and cheek, iyswim - to stop me touching it. I was very proud of it!

You can also buy eyepatches from the chemist. Maybe she could be a pirate for a few days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now