Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Have I really been so stupid? :( ds2 and possible asthmas dx

(6 Posts)
Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 13:05:21

Dh And ds1 have asthma.
Ds1s is very mild and - hopefully - he is growing out of it according to his paed.
Dh uses his inhaler before exercise and am and pm. No problems.
Ds2 is 5 in September.
He has had a cough on and off since last July.
Was dx with chest infection and sent home after having nebs and ABs.
Since nov he had had a cough pretty much constantly.
I have taken him to the gp more times than I care to number. Told each time it was viral.
In December he was coughing so much he was vomiting sad had some awful nights.
8 weeks ago he was dx with croup and given oral steriods.
Still coughing.
Took him back to gp and he was given ABs and the doc swabbed for whooping cough.
He still coughing, and is wheezy.
Doc just phoned me. Swab negative (thank goodness) but the gp has told me he wants to see ds2 this afternoon as he thinks it could be asthma.
sad
I have allowed myself be fobbed off for months and ds2 has suffered.
Feeling awful.
sad

Sirzy Mon 08-Apr-13 13:41:39

Don't feel awful. Asthma is rarely diagnosed straight away. Hopefully you get inhalers this afternoon and they help him

eragon Mon 08-Apr-13 13:45:05

sometimes its tricky for doctors to settle on asthma due to common viral wheeze in young children.
You have nothing to feel guilty about, you have got correct medical help for your child now. focus on that, and the fact that soon your child will be ok soon.

Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 14:39:15

Thank you.
Feel terrible
I guess I just dismissed it as he doesn't present in the same way as ds1 (no nighttime cough for example)
Howpfully he will get a preventer (already have ventolin)
Should I be pushing for a paed referral? Ds1 sees a lovely chap.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 08-Apr-13 14:44:36

Badvoc don't feel bad. You've not seen the wood for the trees, unsurprisingly.

There has been so much respiratory stuff around this winter, our GP said he has been cautious to diagnose asthma.

We are currently waiting and seeing with DS1. I have asthma and I'm hyper-vigilant about the boys because I don't want them to go undiagnosed and they both use ventolin over the winter. Really thought that he did have it, but his chest has cleared right up this last couple of weeks and he hasn't needed his ventolin at all, which suggests to me that he probably isn't asthmatic, or at least not severely.

I don't know whether you need a paed. referral. If the preventer brings things under control then it could be managed perfectly successfully at primary care level I would think? Obviously if it doesn't then a referral would be on the cards.

Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 14:48:21

Yes.
That's probably true.
If the preventer works then it may mean this winter wont be as bad?
<clutches straws>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now