Dh And ds1 have asthma. Ds1s is very mild and - hopefully - he is growing out of it according to his paed. Dh uses his inhaler before exercise and am and pm. No problems. Ds2 is 5 in September. He has had a cough on and off since last July. Was dx with chest infection and sent home after having nebs and ABs. Since nov he had had a cough pretty much constantly. I have taken him to the gp more times than I care to number. Told each time it was viral. In December he was coughing so much he was vomiting had some awful nights. 8 weeks ago he was dx with croup and given oral steriods. Still coughing. Took him back to gp and he was given ABs and the doc swabbed for whooping cough. He still coughing, and is wheezy. Doc just phoned me. Swab negative (thank goodness) but the gp has told me he wants to see ds2 this afternoon as he thinks it could be asthma.
I have allowed myself be fobbed off for months and ds2 has suffered. Feeling awful.
sometimes its tricky for doctors to settle on asthma due to common viral wheeze in young children. You have nothing to feel guilty about, you have got correct medical help for your child now. focus on that, and the fact that soon your child will be ok soon.
Thank you. Feel terrible I guess I just dismissed it as he doesn't present in the same way as ds1 (no nighttime cough for example) Howpfully he will get a preventer (already have ventolin) Should I be pushing for a paed referral? Ds1 sees a lovely chap.
Badvoc don't feel bad. You've not seen the wood for the trees, unsurprisingly.
There has been so much respiratory stuff around this winter, our GP said he has been cautious to diagnose asthma.
We are currently waiting and seeing with DS1. I have asthma and I'm hyper-vigilant about the boys because I don't want them to go undiagnosed and they both use ventolin over the winter. Really thought that he did have it, but his chest has cleared right up this last couple of weeks and he hasn't needed his ventolin at all, which suggests to me that he probably isn't asthmatic, or at least not severely.
I don't know whether you need a paed. referral. If the preventer brings things under control then it could be managed perfectly successfully at primary care level I would think? Obviously if it doesn't then a referral would be on the cards.