Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Utterly confused re using asthma inhalers correctly.

(13 Posts)
Squarepebbles Mon 08-Apr-13 11:51:20

DS 9 has the small pacer,newly diagnosed.

First time the nurse said to breath out then 1 squirt,breath in,take spacer away breath out.Repeat after 10 seconds.

Went back and got her to check,she said we were doing it wrong.She said to not take mouth away from spacer when he breaths out and no waiting 10 seconds.

Asthma site has video showing first way.

She also told us off for not waiting 10 minutes before doing the brown(although she never mentioned that first time round).

She isn't the most patient of nurses tbh.Bit snappy.

Help,which is the correct way?

UseHerName Mon 08-Apr-13 23:38:24

we do the first way after getting a right telling off that we were doing it wrong-we were puffing 4 and breathing all that in... sad shock

nurse made me feel v. norty!!

UseHerName Mon 08-Apr-13 23:39:32

oh my dc is 7,about the size of a 9yo grin

TheSecondComing Mon 08-Apr-13 23:40:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CatsInCustard Mon 08-Apr-13 23:44:20

Shake inhaler, attach to spacer, puff, breathe slowly from spacer for ten seconds. Then take spacer away and repeat as necessary

Ouchmyhead Mon 08-Apr-13 23:50:15

I'm asthmatic, have been since I was about 3, you do get told to leave a gap between blue and brown inhalers, but I never have (too impatient!) and it's never caused me any harm! As for the spacer issue, I used the spacer as a child and from what I remember I usually did it the first way, unless my asthma was particularly bad and my parents would put two puffs in and I'd breath in/breath out/breath in/breath out into the spacer for a bit, until my breathing eased.

CatsInCustard Mon 08-Apr-13 23:52:17

Oh and take a drink after the brown inhaler

dribbleface Wed 10-Apr-13 21:34:06

Asthma UK have a great advice line, really helpful, but we do it as catsincustard says.

Ledkr Wed 10-Apr-13 21:43:19

Dd is just two and we do this.

Get out the bag with inhalers in.
Run after escaping child grab her sit her on lap firmly.
Give pretend puffs to teddy,siblings, self and iggle piggle.
Attempt to give dd her turn.
Pick up inhaler from floor.
Pin down dd and hold mask over her face.
Wait until she's given her first outward cry then puff just before she breathes in.
Try desperately to hold mask on face of rapidly oscillating head.
Repeat.
Wipe brow.
Swig wine.
grin
Sorry not much help though.

dribbleface Wed 10-Apr-13 21:45:58

Ledkr - that sounds all to familiar grin

TheNurseryCryme Wed 10-Apr-13 21:56:41

Dd was complemented on her technique last time <preen>

*shake
*put mask puffer and spacer together
* squirt once
* holding mask in place breathe in and out several times whilst counting to ten
* Shake again
* repeat as many times as needed

Clearly that does not follow the website advice

trixymalixy Wed 10-Apr-13 22:00:17

We use the same technique as thenurserycryme. The consultant makes DS demonstrate his puffer technique at every check up.

Sirzy Wed 10-Apr-13 22:00:48

Ledkr - it gets better!!

NurseryCryme - We do the same and always get comments from the nurses how well its done. They no longer check the technique when we are in hospital they just tell me to give them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now