Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone given their child mmr when older,? Side effects

(13 Posts)
PJM18 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:30:27

Hi. I haven't given my 6 yr old the mmr as his big brother had a reaction so I have always put it off. Now there is an outbreak (I don't live in Wales) I have been thinking about it again but wondered if the side effects would be better, worse or the same in an older child. Any replies appreciated

ariane5 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:35:58

Dd1 and ds 1 had theirs late at age 10 and 5.

They got a rash/temp etc but they do not react well to any vaccination so I am not sure if that is why. I d have thought that in a child with no other health issues that having the mmr later than usual might be less likely to cause a problem as they are bigger/older and if the vaccine is ok for a baby then should be fine for an older child? I'm no medical expert though so don't just take my word for it!

4nomore Sun 07-Apr-13 22:37:14

I was given the MMR as an adult (in connection with a job) and the side-effects that I was warned about (the most notable one is a high temp about 10 days after the vaccination when the measles component kicks-in) were explained exactly the same as when they give it to babies. I didn't actually notice anything happening but I was 41 not six and I'd already been vaccinated against measles and rubella long ago. Possibly not a hugely helpful reply and I think it will vary from person to person more than anything

chocoluvva Sun 07-Apr-13 22:42:36

16YO DD had it a few weeks ago. She felt as if she was getting some of the symptoms of mumps, but it didn't amount to anything.

notcitrus Sun 07-Apr-13 22:44:25

The effects in adults are supposed to be very mild - I had it a few years ago when I pointed out that ds wasn't going to benefit from my immunity if I'd never had measles or mumps nor the jab for them, and had a mildly sore arm for a few hours.
So I'd predict an older child would have less than a 12mo when a bit of achiness for a day Is common, but dd had no problems with hers at all.

It would depend much more on the nature of your child's reaction - and how sure you can be it was related to the jab rather than one of say the many colds toddlers get at that age. And how that compares to the risks of measles, which definitely is nasty even without complications like encephalitis or nerve damage.

I am not a medical doctor nor any expert on MMR though I have worked on similar science and usually tell people to have the jab.

louderthanbombs Sun 07-Apr-13 22:46:15

My DDs had the MMR aged 7 and 10. I don't remember any particular side effects.

CointreauVersial Sun 07-Apr-13 22:49:04

I can't advise on side effects, but don't put it off.

AuntLucyInPeru Sun 07-Apr-13 22:54:21

I had mmr aged 38 (was working with someone who had a partner at home with mumps and ReALLY didn't want to catch it); no side effects at all.

AuntLucyInPeru Sun 07-Apr-13 22:54:57

The injection itself quite hurt though! Felt sorry for my DCs grin

chickydoo Sun 07-Apr-13 23:08:50

My DD had Mmr at 16 ( had it late for various reasons)
She did have an awful reaction.
Temp of 40+ was delirious, also had a measles type rash on her torso, neck & face. She ended up in hospital for 2 nights on a drip.
We thought she might have a reaction as she is reactive to anything from anaesthetics to antibiotics....we were right not to have given her Mmr as a baby, her body might not have coped well at all.
She is fine now, and we are glad she has had the vaccination.

MsGillis Mon 13-May-13 18:36:36

Sorry, just found this and bumping as 4 year old DS currently quite ill 10 days on. Has a croupy sounding cough (he coughed so much he was sick last night) a massive temperature, very sleepy and clingy and has barely eaten for days. sad

Is this all fairly standard then?

MsGillis Mon 13-May-13 18:46:09

(Should add he's generally healthy with no issues or allergies that we know of.)

duchesse Mon 13-May-13 18:57:23

My three older children had the MMR at 18, 16 and 14 years old. Oldest DC reacted badly to MMR when he was a nipper so didn't feel minded to give him the second dose. They were fine- no temperature, no bad reaction. DD3 had her first dose at just 3 and seemed fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now