Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Where can I get a swimming costume with shoulders for DD?

(18 Posts)
releasethehounds Sun 07-Apr-13 09:06:47

The problem is DD2 is 9 and takes clothes age 10-11. She has sensitive skin and last year in Spain, despite copious amounts of sun cream and shade, her shoulders were badly burned.

I know she can wear a T-shirt when swimming but I'd really like to get her one of those swimsuits that little ones have which will protect her more. It appears that these swimsuits are only made for upto 9 year olds - does anyone know were I may be able to get one for DD?

Many thanks.

LIZS Sun 07-Apr-13 09:11:58

You mean a rash vest to wear over or instead of a swimsuit or set like this

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Sun 07-Apr-13 09:13:55

Just go to a surfy type shop and get her some rash tops to wear with shorts. Im sure you can even get them with built in sun protection

releasethehounds Sun 07-Apr-13 09:17:40

Never thought about a sports/surf shop - thanks for that. Liking the look of the butterfly top - might just get that and try to match up with normal bikini bottoms. I notice the all in one still only goes upto age 10 though.

Thanks for your help - I'll definitely look into this.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 07-Apr-13 09:20:24

this top has bigger sizes

Eglantyne Sun 07-Apr-13 09:22:37

The Next directory normally does the top and shorts version up to age13-14.

Katz Sun 07-Apr-13 09:23:36

Pumpkin patch - online only now but there's always a free delivery code kicking around

www.pumpkinpatch.co.uk/girl/girl/new-arrivals/swimwear-collection/

www.pumpkinpatch.co.uk/girl/urban-angel/new-arrivals/swimwear-collection/

Katz Sun 07-Apr-13 09:24:10

The second link has a couple of bikini bottoms with tops sets

releasethehounds Sun 07-Apr-13 09:25:07

Wow - lots to look at! Not sure why I couldn't find these before blush. Thanks everyone.

Katz Sun 07-Apr-13 09:28:05

Release - my dd2 is allergic to sunscreen so always on the hunt for reef tops and shorts, we generally end up with boys ones as her favorite colors are lime green and orange.

We've had a number of pumpkin patch swimsuits and they're fairing well.

Katz Sun 07-Apr-13 09:30:16

Free delivery code UKMEA,

bruffin Sun 07-Apr-13 09:35:32

this is gorgeous but not cheap

Startail Sun 07-Apr-13 09:35:35

Lion in the Sun

DD2 has a swim T shirt and DD1 and me have UV jackets, which are great because done up you can swim in them and undone they are cool enough to play on the beach.

Good quality mine must be 8 years old at least.

Startail Sun 07-Apr-13 09:43:45

Yes the magic word is rash vest, it's all the body boarders fault.
DH proved you do indeed get a horrible rash of the combination of sand, salt, suncream and the rough surface of the board. You also get a horribly sun burnt back standing or lying about waiting for a good wave.

He quickly bought a rash vest too.

LIZS Sun 07-Apr-13 09:57:36

Zoggs is another brand - you may find in TK Maxx or sports shops, also try Decathlon

releasethehounds Sun 07-Apr-13 10:56:18

Great - thanks all. DD and I will be sifting through all these suggestions later today.smile

Madsometimes Sun 07-Apr-13 20:56:37

The Aussie brand Stingray has a great selection of sunsuits for children (and adults too). A UK stockist is here. There are probably others too.

I bought these for my dc, in a generous size and they have lasted years smile.

releasethehounds Mon 08-Apr-13 19:03:49

Thanks Mad - I'll take a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now