Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tongue tie. How do you know?

(11 Posts)
10oclocknews Fri 05-Apr-13 19:29:30

Is tongue tie always picked up in hospital? If not how would you know if your baby had it? How would it manifest itself? and if left are there any long term problems?

stargirl1701 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:31:35

No, it is not.

Bf is agony. Fucking agony.

It can manifest as speech problems later.

CreatureRetorts Fri 05-Apr-13 19:32:10

The paediatrician pointed it out but said it was minor. I believed her until 11 long weeks of awful feeding that someone pointed out it was probably the tie. So got someone who knew their stuff to check against and they concluded it was quite severe.

leolion Fri 05-Apr-13 19:40:57

Yes, I vouch for bf being agony. Both my dd's were severely tongue tied. Dd2 fed really well but it was so painful. It manifested itself in dd1 by her failing to latch on properly after 7 days of attempting to bf and was losing a lot of weight. On both occasions, we had to go back into hospital after discharge due to the problems it was causing and get it 'snipped'. As soon as this was done, both my dd's fed really well. Do you have suspicions your dc may have it?

leolion Fri 05-Apr-13 19:43:24

Sorry didn't answer your other question. The paediatricians did pick it up in hospital but didn't see it as a problem, but it obviously was! Yes, it can manifest in speech problems later on in life.

DefiniteMaybe Fri 05-Apr-13 19:49:49

Bf isn't necessarily agony. Ds had a 100%tongue tie and I had no pain. My milk did disappear despite hourly feedings by 4 months as he wasn't effectively transferring milk at all. His weight was going up by 1oz a week.
He had his snipped at 2and a half which helped his speech a little but had to have it resnipped a few weeks ago. He's 4. It again has improved his speech a little but the muscles in his tongue just haven't formed properly so will never be 'perfect'.
I wish someone had noticed much earlier. Dd had hers snipped at 2days and now has a normal tongue.

CreatureRetorts Fri 05-Apr-13 19:50:58

I will add - had not much pain, in fact it went but dd didn't gain much weight and had dreadful wind.

FoodieToo Fri 05-Apr-13 20:01:35

My Ds also had a tongue tie and fed for nearly a year and no pain either.

You would need to get a doc to check it.

catsdogsandbabies Fri 05-Apr-13 20:09:08

No they don't pick it up at hospital. We were re admitted due to 13% weight loss and they still didn't notice. Baby starving, nipples bleeding. Snipped and feeding transformed. Should be checked for and snipped if any feeding issues.

10oclocknews Fri 05-Apr-13 21:47:59

Thanks for the replies. DD is bottlefed and has gained weight perfectly. Pretty much stayed on her centile without any deviation. However, feeding her has never been easy. She is 4months old now, but can still take an hour to drink her bottle. She has always fussed and gotten upset and was eventually given gaviscon for silent reflux. This stopped the crying during feeds and she was generally more settled, but actually drinking the milk was still a drama. She will suck then seem frustrated and chew teat then suck. She wil eventually get a rhythm going but then she'll have wind and need to stop...then it starts again. She is DC2 and my first always fed really well and just drank his milk without a fuss.

I've changed bottles and tried various teats but still the same. She may just be a fussy feeder but the thought of tongue tie crossed my mind and wondered if that made it harder for her to suck, and due the the hard work involved. Her weight gain is down to my perseverance and persistance with feeding. I've mentioned to the Dr and the HV numerous times about the fuss she makes with her feeding but they have just said her weight is lovely, continue what you are doing.
She sticks her tongue out and chews her tongue too. Is this possible to do when you have TT?? Does it sound like it could be TT? Is it worth mentioning to the HV?? Ive been back and forth to the DR so many times with DD that I'm starting to think I'm just imagining things now....I'm sure I was never this neurotic with DC1......Thought you were meant to be more relaxed 2nd time round?!!

BeaWheesht Fri 05-Apr-13 22:55:27

With dd she had a snake tongue - so it was shaped and pulled in at the middle bit. She couldn't stick her tongue out at all. Not at all, he had it cut at 2 weeks old and her tongue is normal at 2 years old but it took a long time for the shape to correct itself: therefore, if you're concerned get it checked because you don't want it to affect speech later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now