Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS got taken in an ambulance today, I feel like the worst Mum in the world.

(37 Posts)
MissSG Fri 05-Apr-13 19:13:10

DS (19MO) fell off of the kitchen table today, I turned my back for a second and he walked backwards and landed on his head on the floor.

I rang 999 as he went limp, couldn't walk and was blue and he was taken in an ambulance.

After hours at the hospital he has been given the all clear and they said that he is fine.

I can't help but feel like the worst Mum in the world!

Will this bump to the head affect him long term?

I feel awful sad

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 05-Apr-13 19:16:18

Oh no! I know you are not the worst Mum in the world! I know accident happen, and that isn't because you're a bad Mum. I know this because I work in abuse and neglect field, and really, a bump on the head is very common.
I'm sure others who's kids have injured themselves will be along to tell you their stories.

My Ds is only 4 months, and I dread the day something like this happens, but I know it probably will!

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Fri 05-Apr-13 19:16:42

Well lets face it I bet you wont do that again! My DS1 fell off the bed at 4 months and broke his leg at 2. DS2 is only 14 w so has a way to go, but accidents happen thanks and wine for you!

roundtoit Fri 05-Apr-13 19:19:49

you are not the worst mum in the world, you did not make it happen , you did not want it to happen and you did the right thing when it did happen and took him to hospital. It was an accident , so do not beat yourself up. I found my DS in the garden screaming his head off ( he is 28 now) when he was about 3 after hitting himself on the head with a hammer, dont ask where he got the hammer from. I got him checked out he was fine but I felt just like you.

SouthernComforts Fri 05-Apr-13 19:26:22

I'm sure 99% of mums has a story like this one!

The Drs will have checked him thoroughly, but take him back if you need reassurance.

SouthernComforts Fri 05-Apr-13 19:28:12

Oh, and you are not the worst mum in the world!! That was me when I cut my prem babies finger cutting her nails. Or my sister when she sent her PFB to school with a broken arm!

FoodieToo Fri 05-Apr-13 19:30:37

Ds3 broke his arm bouncing on the trampoline when he was 2.........

DinoSnores Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:07

I was giving 2.5 yo DS a piggyback when (somehow, I'm really not sure what happened) I dropped him and he ended up with a toddler's fracture of his leg!

MissSG Fri 05-Apr-13 19:38:31

Thank you so much for your kind replies, I just feel so down about it.

I have never been so scared and upset in my life, He will not be stepping foot on the table again.

I am going to keep an eye on him and if I still feel as though something isn't quite right I will take him in.

CautionaryWhale Fri 05-Apr-13 19:39:40

Hello there OP

I always always reply to these kind of threats because I know you are punishing yourself and feeling worse than your baby right now!
If given the all clear he should be fine...if anything happens in the future you cannot and really shouldn't hark back to this accident my lovely, it is unlikely there will be any cause and effect.

At only seven months old my DD2 fell headfirst onto concrete. I cried for days.

She is fine - an absolute active intelligent tazzy devil - the latter temperament had nothing to do with a goose egg bump believe me!

We have mostly all been there and tis always a nightmare - you learn that surfaces, beds, door frames etc are mild peril.

But fall again he will - whether at nursery or the swings or dicky dancing - and you will be there to pick him up.

thanks brew wine xxx

CautionaryWhale Fri 05-Apr-13 19:41:17

threats?!!

threads!

You strike me as lovely as opposed to threatening OP smile

tribpot Fri 05-Apr-13 19:42:56

My brother failed to take his middle ds to hospital after a broken arm. He had to go the next day when the bone was starting to knit <wince>

My other brother did take his middle ds to hospital after a broken leg - he'd managed to stick his leg through the bar of his cot and turn over <double wince>

You did the right thing, he is safe and all is well. We've all felt like you do - it goes with the territory.

2kidsintow Fri 05-Apr-13 19:43:51

When DD1 was younger than 1, I turned my back to open the boot of the car, and the shopping tolley DD1 was in rolled off the kerb and fell. It tipped completely up, with the handle touching the floor. How she didn't get VERY hurt I don't know. Luckily she was just scared by the experience and not harmed physically.

TheFallenNinja Fri 05-Apr-13 19:45:14

I don't think your a proper parent until you've dropped them at least once.

Welcome smile

mymatemax Fri 05-Apr-13 19:51:20

My maternal instinct key me down when I tripped on the pavement carrying ds1, I sort of chucked him forwards (like a rugby ball) in order to put my hands down to break my fall. It was just a reflex but I felt like the worst mum in the world. Glad your ds is ok.

mymatemax Fri 05-Apr-13 19:51:53

Let

BeanoGrigio Fri 05-Apr-13 19:52:18

My dd grabbed my cup of tea when she was about 14 months. Ambulance trip and a massive over her forearm. I felt like the worst mum ever but now, only 6 months later, I can look back and see it was just an accident (albeit one I could have prevented and I'm much more careful with hot drinks now). At the time I couldn't believe how nice everyone was about it and giving me sympathy for how bad I must feel. It made me feel loads better to hear other people's 'bad mum' stories so I thought I'd share mine. I'm sure it won't be my last, too.

I've also had dd fall and have a slight seizure afterwards, I know how terrifying it can be so really feel for you. Give yourself a break and a big glass of vino once dc are in bed if you are partial to such a thing smile

BeanoGrigio Fri 05-Apr-13 19:53:00

A massive blister that meant to say.

Dilidali Fri 05-Apr-13 19:54:03

God! Mine fell backwards from the top of the stairs all the way down when she was about one and a half. I have never ever in my entire existence felt worse. Makes me sick just thinking about it after all these years.
We've all been there. Accidents happen. Xx

Flisspaps Fri 05-Apr-13 19:54:20

Don't be surprised if the HV contacts you next week either, apparently that's normal and nothing to panic about smile

AnAirOfHope Fri 05-Apr-13 19:56:26

Its a right of passage.

When ds was 18 months and learned to climb on the sofa in the space of two weeks he fell off head first onto wood flooring three times, being pfb i took him to A&E each time and he was fine blush

From the time he could walk he always had bumps on his legs or something. Then there is the stage when he doesnt look where he is walking and is the right hight to bang in to everything from tables to door handles.

tigerdriverII Fri 05-Apr-13 19:58:28

Please don't worry, you're not at all alone. I only have one DC, and when he was a baby, we managed: to get a hair wrapped round his tiny finger that needed a scalpel to remove it (GP was about to retire, told me he'd heard of this but never seen it before, nice to be a medical curiosity); fell down stairs with him in my arms - I have never fallen down our stairs since or before; and when walking, he fell over my pals patio door and lacerated his eyebrow. Now has a rakish scar which he rather cherishes but boy did I feel bad at the time...

Shakey1500 Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:21

DS at 2 years old. Back turned for a minute. Front door unlocked. He escaped. When I caught up with him (having done a worthy Linford impression) he had CROSSED the road and was on the verge of crossing another. Heart/mouth/stick/beaten/head cried for around a month?

AllSWornOut Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:47

The first thing DS did the first time we went to DM's house after he was walking was to fall down the nicely carpeted stairs backwards and land on his head on the stone flagged hallway at the bottom. After waiting until midnight to be seen in a&e (and then the doctor asking if it was normal that he was so sleepy - wtf it's midnight and he's 15 months old) we were sent home with the all clear.

These things happen, it's a year later now and there don't seem to have been any lasting effects.

LottieJenkins Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:54

Wilf fell off a storage box in the garden and smashed his head on concrete. Our GP at the time was a family friend so we went there as casualty was 40 mins away. He was lovely and told us what to do and not to do. His parting words were that if Wilf was sick in the next six hours to go to Casualty. Mum stayed with us as I dont drive. No word of a lie five hours and fifty five mins later Mum decided she would be ok to go. Wilf ambled across into the dining room where we were and said "Bye Graggy............" and then vomited right next to Mum's shoe............Hotfoot we went to Casualty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now