Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toxic farts

(4 Posts)
MogwaiTheGremlin Fri 05-Apr-13 17:29:14

First time mum so probably worrying unnecessarily but ds (9 months) is really under the weather with some strange symptoms which may/may not be related? To summarise:

Gone off his milk and food - for 1 week now and getting steadily worse.
Very windy with absolutely toxic farts despite not really eating/drinking.
Biting me but not interested in teething toys, rings, biscuits etc.
Rubbing his eyes even when not tired.
Minor cold-like symptoms (snotty nose and cough).

In general he is not his usual happy self - he cries at the slightest thing and occasionally let's out sharp cries like he's in pain sad

I've tried all the usual teething tricks plus the odd dose of Calpol but it doesn't seem to make any difference. He likes being held/cuddled and is sleeping ok but he's getting skinnier by the day and I'm really starting to worry.

Should I take him to the doctor?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

MogwaiTheGremlin Fri 05-Apr-13 19:12:30

He's also just been sick so now worried about dehydration sad

Any advice gratefully received

Notquiteinsane Sat 06-Apr-13 20:09:28

Hi there,

Sorry I am not any help, but just wanted to say my son who is the same age is behaving in exactly the same way!! He does have reflux/allergies, but I'm not sure this is related or at least wholly related.

Am also concerned about dehydration, but at the moment he will drink just enough to quench his thirst it seems.

My DD had a severe vomiting bug when she was little and I was advised to syringe 5mls water every 5mins to keep her hydrated, so have been periodically doing this as he keeps it all down at least!! The fact that none of us have had any symptoms makes me sceptical that it is a tummy bug...

Personally, we will be taking a trip to the GP on Monday unless anything worsens before then. But would be interested to hear if anyone else is suffering with the same or has any advice!!

MogwaiTheGremlin Sun 07-Apr-13 15:48:32

Thank you - it is always helpful to hear what others are doing!

The vomiting carried on through Friday night and then surprise surprise I started vomiting on Saturday! We had a pretty grim day where neither of us could keep anything down. I managed to syringe a few ml of water into him throughout the day and he slept in my bed last night. I'm feeling a lot better today and he seems much more cheerful so think it was a bug. He's still not eating/drinking much but enough to keep dehydration at bay thankfully.

Hope your ds feels better soon or the gp can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now