Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Second MMR immunisation- should I bring it forward?

(28 Posts)
Tailtwister Fri 05-Apr-13 09:41:19

I have been following the current measles epidemic in Swansea and although we live some distance away (Scotland) it has got me thinking about DS2's second MMR immunisation. He's going to be 3 at the beginning of June, but with the summer holidays coming up I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get it done sooner than the 3y 4m currently advised.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I think I've read that his current immunity will be around 89% which would rise to around 99% after the second injection? Obviously, he won't be 100% protected but having gone through him having viral meningitis at 10 days old I'm keen to be extra cautious (not that there's a connection between the two, but just trying to explain my mindset).

lljkk Fri 05-Apr-13 12:20:08

I wouldn't worry about it.

hotair Fri 05-Apr-13 13:05:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notcitrus Fri 05-Apr-13 13:26:10

Probably they'll be fine with it - if there's an actual epidemic they bring the next one forward, so dd will get her booster at 16 months. Give it a.go.

SqueakyCleanNameChange Fri 05-Apr-13 13:30:54

Is he at nursery? And if so, all year or just termtime? That's the biggest risk and I'd make my decision accordingly.

weegiemum Fri 05-Apr-13 13:34:51

I brought it forward for my ds (he's now 11!) as we were travelling to Central America and he had it as part of a bunch of travel vax (hep A, typhoid, rabies, hepB, bcg) that they all had (dd1 was 5y2m, ds 3y2m, dd2 17 months). Dh and I also had hep-a/typhoid and rabies, dh was already hep-b immune (doctor) but I had that too. We were visiting friends very much off the beaten track and backpacking (literally, I carried dd2 in a backpack pretty much the whole trip!).

But if I was living in Scotland (which I do) and there was an outbreak in Wales (where my dc cousins live) I'd not be bothering. There could be a case round the corner/in your dc school and you'd not know.

hotair Fri 05-Apr-13 13:42:58

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 13:45:34

I have just booked my five in, the elder ones didn't have it ( with my gp's backing for medical reasons) but now they are older I feel the risks of not having it outweigh the risks if having it, go agrees so they are all booked in for the 18th April.

I would get it done, call your go and talk to them smile

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 13:48:10

Mine are 13, 10, 8, 5 and 2 yrs BTW and will have two math gap and then the booster.

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 13:52:24

hotair - how did you get your DC's booster early?
Did you have to pay?
Only our GP aren't offering to bring it forward and we are barely outside the affected area.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 14:03:25

Kansas just listening to it on the radio and your surgery are wrong, the advice if you are in/near the area is to get it done and there are special clinics being set up etc. Even babies under 13mths are being given the vaccination.

hotair Fri 05-Apr-13 14:12:55

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 14:13:07

They said because DC has had the first and second jabs that he doesn't count as un vaccinated.
They're doing drop in clinics tomorrow for un vaccinated children. Maybe I can find a phone number and ask if he can/should be taken there for his booster?

He's in back in playgroup once the Easter break is over. They'll all have been out and about over the hols.

I don't want to be paranoid about it, especially as he had his first 2 jabs. But just googled and it's now in our immediate area as well as surrounding us.

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 14:13:52

Literally in the affected area hotair.

hotair Fri 05-Apr-13 14:18:20

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 14:20:20

Oh iuf he has had the first jab AND the booster then he doesn't need a third smile

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 14:22:34

Forgive me, I'm confusing myself! He has had so many injections!
He is currently up to date with all vaccinations.
He is not yet 3 so wont yet have had his pre-school booster, although he is in playgroup 4 days a week.
This is what I'm concerned about. Not having had this booster whilst living in the affected area.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 14:23:53

So he has only had one dose of the MMR? In which case yes he needs the booster and you are entitled to get it done early. Try and find out if there is a clinic near you?

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 14:25:02

So having googled he should have hasd the first dose but yes booster is normally done between 3-5yrs and he hasn't had that? I agree get it done smile

hotair Fri 05-Apr-13 14:27:22

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 14:28:42

Yes what hot air said the advice is he should have the booster, your surgery is being crap.

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 14:34:09

A Ha! Success!
Finally got hold of the health visitors for our area and they said they will do it middle of next week for him if I'm willing to come to baby clinic and wait for as long as it takes. She said 'think 2 1/2 hours', but that's obvious in an area with an outbreak.
But they weren't offering it, only giving it to people who took it upon themselves to phone and say they want the booster early.
(Pissed me off a bit when it's escalated and got so many children so quickly tbh but there you go!)

hotair Fri 05-Apr-13 14:35:46

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Fri 05-Apr-13 14:40:46

Glad its sorted Kansas hope you don't have to wait too long xx

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 14:43:26

I know hotair.
But I understand they're concentrating on the (quite high) numbers of un vaccinated children in the area as a priority. Never mind, hopefully he'll be ok until his booster next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now