I have been following the current measles epidemic in Swansea and although we live some distance away (Scotland) it has got me thinking about DS2's second MMR immunisation. He's going to be 3 at the beginning of June, but with the summer holidays coming up I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get it done sooner than the 3y 4m currently advised.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I think I've read that his current immunity will be around 89% which would rise to around 99% after the second injection? Obviously, he won't be 100% protected but having gone through him having viral meningitis at 10 days old I'm keen to be extra cautious (not that there's a connection between the two, but just trying to explain my mindset).
I brought it forward for my ds (he's now 11!) as we were travelling to Central America and he had it as part of a bunch of travel vax (hep A, typhoid, rabies, hepB, bcg) that they all had (dd1 was 5y2m, ds 3y2m, dd2 17 months). Dh and I also had hep-a/typhoid and rabies, dh was already hep-b immune (doctor) but I had that too. We were visiting friends very much off the beaten track and backpacking (literally, I carried dd2 in a backpack pretty much the whole trip!).
But if I was living in Scotland (which I do) and there was an outbreak in Wales (where my dc cousins live) I'd not be bothering. There could be a case round the corner/in your dc school and you'd not know.
I have just booked my five in, the elder ones didn't have it ( with my gp's backing for medical reasons) but now they are older I feel the risks of not having it outweigh the risks if having it, go agrees so they are all booked in for the 18th April.
I would get it done, call your go and talk to them
Kansas just listening to it on the radio and your surgery are wrong, the advice if you are in/near the area is to get it done and there are special clinics being set up etc. Even babies under 13mths are being given the vaccination.
They said because DC has had the first and second jabs that he doesn't count as un vaccinated. They're doing drop in clinics tomorrow for un vaccinated children. Maybe I can find a phone number and ask if he can/should be taken there for his booster?
He's in back in playgroup once the Easter break is over. They'll all have been out and about over the hols.
I don't want to be paranoid about it, especially as he had his first 2 jabs. But just googled and it's now in our immediate area as well as surrounding us.
Forgive me, I'm confusing myself! He has had so many injections! He is currently up to date with all vaccinations. He is not yet 3 so wont yet have had his pre-school booster, although he is in playgroup 4 days a week. This is what I'm concerned about. Not having had this booster whilst living in the affected area.
A Ha! Success! Finally got hold of the health visitors for our area and they said they will do it middle of next week for him if I'm willing to come to baby clinic and wait for as long as it takes. She said 'think 2 1/2 hours', but that's obvious in an area with an outbreak. But they weren't offering it, only giving it to people who took it upon themselves to phone and say they want the booster early. (Pissed me off a bit when it's escalated and got so many children so quickly tbh but there you go!)