Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is it possible for a nine year old to get chicken pox twice?

(7 Posts)
gazzalw Thu 04-Apr-13 20:54:04

Nephew has apparently got chicken pox for a second time after having a particularly virulent bout some three years ago. Is this likely or indeed possible? I'm am slightly nervous as I'm wondering if it could be measles (not sure if he has had the MMR and a bit afraid to ask at the moment for fear of causing panic and alarm).

PacificDogwood Thu 04-Apr-13 21:19:43

Yes, it's possible, but not likely if he had a bad bout of it previously.

Also, chickenpox and measles really do look quite different tbh.

Why are you worried? Are you expecting?

gazzalw Fri 05-Apr-13 08:09:28

Thanks PacificDogwood. Just curious really! DD who is 7 hasn't had it knowingly and she's been exposed loads over the years. I wish she would get it, as really the older she gets the less time one will be wanting her to have off school, sick. Her cousin has had it once really badly and now again. Just seems strange. Is it to do with the robustness of the auto-immune system?

snozzlemaid Fri 05-Apr-13 08:20:54

A work colleague has had it 5 or 6 times. Twice since I've known her. So it is possible but most people do only get it the once.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 05-Apr-13 08:23:46

It is possible.

During the 4 years ds was at nursery there was a staff member who had chickenpox twice. She said when she catches it her body just doesn't build an immunity to it. She has had it 6 times in total and is off work for 2 weeks each time.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 05-Apr-13 08:59:33

Not everybody gains natural immunity to CP after having had it previously. MOST do, but there are always the exceptions that prove the rule!

My DS1 had CP so badly at 11mo that you could do dot-to-dot on him and my then 4yo DD and her friend did while I was on the loo!, he even had it inside his eyelids.

He got it again when he was 4y11mo. Almost 4 years to the day later, when my DS2 got them!

He had them just as badly the second time too.

I wasn't surprised though - I personally have had CP 4 times now. Once at 5yo, again at 8yo, then at 19, then at 27.

The jab wouldn't help either - because it works on the premise that you get natural immunity to CP from the jab, and that won't work if CP itself didn't cause enough of an immune system response to make you immune!

I am living in dread of DS3 catching CP, because a) I will no doubt get it again, or even worse, shingles. B) DS1 will no doubt get it again. C) Due to having a compromised immune system due to steroid meds for asthma, CP is VERY dangerous for DS2 now.

I'm looking at paying for DS3 to be immunised against CP!

gazzalw Fri 05-Apr-13 09:06:21

Poor you CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs...sounds a complete nightmare for your whole famile.

Obviously Nephew hasn't built up an immunity (he is a bit of a martyr to his glands) whereas we think our DD has probably had it so very, very mildly (possibly a couple of spots) that it passed by virtually unnoticed!

the only positive thing is that he's got it over the holiday period so no time off school.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now