Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Think dd 13 may have cystitis

(11 Posts)
MegGriffin Thu 04-Apr-13 16:45:02

Over the last 2 hours or so dd has been going to the toilet frequently and passing small amounts of urine which she says hurts.
As its only just started I have instructed her to drink lots of water. Can we wait and see how it goes and go to docs tomorrow if no better?
This will be her first case of uti/cystitis if that is what it is.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 04-Apr-13 16:48:24

Flushing through with lots of water will help, and you won't do any harm by not seeing the GP until tomorrow. Hope it's a one-off that clears quickly.

MegGriffin Thu 04-Apr-13 16:54:03

Thank you for the quick reply smile It's amazing she has got to 13 without having a uti so I don't have any experience with children having them. I really hope it goes by tomorrow.

NotSpartacus Thu 04-Apr-13 16:57:58

Give her some cranberry juice in the meantime if you can. Sometimes it helps and it won't hurt.

Numberlock Thu 04-Apr-13 17:00:01

You can buy the sachets in the supermarket, I wouldn't make her wait, it's agony !

GlaikitHasHerFizzBack Thu 04-Apr-13 17:00:48

Lots of water. And some ibuprofen used to help me when I got it. There are OTC sachets you can get that do the trick if you are near a pharmacy. She has my sympathies, its a rotten thing to have

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 04-Apr-13 17:06:00

Christ, cystitis hurts. You sit for a day with it before someone tried to treat you! She's your child not a pet! Get some cranberry juice, get some powders from tesco and do something.

Best description if u haven't had it is its like peeing through glass. Is that it? Uve not had it?

MegGriffin Thu 04-Apr-13 17:08:49

Ok I didnt know I could self medicate for this. Will go to sainsbury now.
Thanks for the advice.

GlaikitHasHerFizzBack Thu 04-Apr-13 17:09:45

Peeing boiling liquid with broken glass in it wish. And the urge to pee is constantly there.

Meg, if you can get you dd anything tonight, a wam bath with some bicarbonate in it can help. It's gross but if she pees in the bath it will hurt less too.

LadyKinbote Thu 04-Apr-13 17:15:42

The doctor will probably want a urine sample but try to get her straight onto antibiotics if it's still hurting, don't let them fob you off until after the weekend. DD had to try three diff types before she found ones that actually got rid of it, poor thing sad

MegGriffin Thu 04-Apr-13 17:46:07

I have got some sachets from pharmacy. I will take her to docs tomorrow if no better.
At the moment she is saying its not too bad and doesnt really hurt any more so may not even be cystitis which is why I didnt rush immediately up to the doctors.
Thank you for the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now