Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nappy Rash - Newborn

(8 Posts)
LikeCandy Thu 04-Apr-13 12:28:08

Sorry - worried new mum here!
I am feeling so guilty that 12 day old DD1s perfect little bottom is looking red and sore between her cheeks, she is changed very reguarly (before every feed and if we hear/smell nappy action) we only use cotton wool and water, and last night I started using a teeny amount of metanium or bepanthen at each change.
She is in disposables, but we are intending to swap to reusables ASAP. But I don't know which would be better for her bum?
(I am also on antibiotics (for c section scar) and I'm not sure if this is having an effect on her, via the breast milk?)
Could I be making it worse by over cleaning?

What can I do to help this heal faster and stop it returning?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

LikeCandy Thu 04-Apr-13 12:33:40

Oh and I have to hand:
Metanium
Bepanthen
Sudocrem
Waitrose baby bottom butter
Anyone have any ideas which is better?!

MrsLettuce Thu 04-Apr-13 12:35:45

Metanium is the very best cream, closely followed by bepanthen so that's all good. 'fraid there is a small chance it could be thrush through so it's worth getting it looked at.

IME applying nappy cream as you would an eye cream - rapid dabs rather than spreading - works best as it avoids irritating or further damaging the skin.

MrsLettuce Thu 04-Apr-13 12:36:08

through = though

LikeCandy Thu 04-Apr-13 13:28:16

Thanks MrsL - how would I tell if it was thrush? I only started the antibiotics last night, and the rash came on before that. The health visitor saw her on Tuesday and said it was nothing to worry about, I don't want them to know think I am being crazy paranoid if I keep bothering them!
Good tip about the metanium - I'll keep on with it.

Saku Thu 04-Apr-13 14:06:25

just my mom used to do it so may be it can help .. hmm when you wipe with cotton and water; last wipe it with small amount of any oil(coconut) with cotton(help to heal). After that put any baby powder so that cheeks wont rub each other. And good that you are shifting reusable ones smile .. because they are airy and makes that place dry for not increasing the rash.

forevergreek Thu 04-Apr-13 14:18:16

Also try nappy free time, I would just fold a towel and lay her on it with no nappy ( keep house warm, just a top on her). A few times a day if possible should help clear it up as no extra wetness to irritate.
maybe a 30 min lay down on the floor or even lap should be fine as much as possible really, a baby that age will wee small amounts often rather than a late amount in one go. So you can just remove towel and add clean one if she wets

Note: this may increase the amount of towels needing washing for a few days! Although a full day of nappy free where possible should clear up

If still there I would check for thrush

LikeCandy Thu 04-Apr-13 16:33:43

Thanks both

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now