Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How to ease toothache (DS waiting for filling)

(4 Posts)
Tiggles Wed 03-Apr-13 22:48:25

DS2 needs a filling. It should have happened a couple of weeks ago when we were hit with snow and the dentist couldn't open. He has been rescheduled for a months time. But is now crying after eating and complaining of lots of pain.
I've never needed a filling, so don't really know what I can do for him. I have given ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to work for long.
Is this amount of pain normal, or should I see if I can get him an emergency appointment?

1969Sarah Wed 03-Apr-13 23:55:33

Get an emergency appointment. Clove oil helps a bit but call 1st thing and tell them about the pain. My (nhs) dentist would see same day.

MrsPoglesWood Thu 04-Apr-13 00:08:55

Definitely get an emergency appointment first thing. That much pain isn't normal. Also you can double up ibuprofen and paracetamol - they can be taken together. So 2 ibubprofen and then 2 paracetamol 2 hours later. Do check the dosage info though as you don't say how old your DS is.

And also dependent on how old he is - a sip or two of whisky or brandy used as a 'mouthwash' to swill around the affected tooth can work wonders. You don't have to swallow it! NHS Direct told me that and it really helped when I had a tooth abcess and was in agony and tablets weren't helping.

I hope he gets it sorted very soon, toothache is miserable!

Tiggles Thu 04-Apr-13 09:45:13

Thanks both smile (He is 6 and autistic so not a great communicator!)
They will see him tomorrow morning instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now