Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my little baby DD (nearly 3) has chicken pox :(

(13 Posts)
PainForLife Wed 03-Apr-13 15:36:07

Rang Dr's he's getting a prescription ready for paracetamol/camomile lotion for me to pick up.

what can do I do to make her feel comfortable?

she's not been a big eater so I'm afraid she'll lose more weight whilst the chicken pox work out of her system.

she's had fever for a few days so been giving her paracetamol anyway plus she didn't get much sleep last night she just looks so I'll (I'm probably being over sensitive)

Any good tips will be appreciated.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 03-Apr-13 15:40:01

My DS (2.2) has just broken out in chicken pox for the second bloody time. Piriton syrup works a treat and makes them drowsy so you they can rest.
Currently eyeing up 8 wk DD and wondering how long it'll be before her rash appears. Sigh...

Hope your DD gets better soon.

TreeLuLa Wed 03-Apr-13 15:40:58

My DTs (3 1/2 year olds)have had this in the last 4 weeks. DT1 first than DT2 just in time for Easter.

Day three with the spots (and night 3) were the worst for us.

Lots of warm baths with bicarbonate of soda in seemed to help. Short fingernails to discourage scratching.

Give her whatever she'll eat and drink. DS is drinking appletiser because it seems to go down easily (he even has chickenpox in his mouth!) and doesn't seem as bad to me as lucozade!

It's really only 5 days that is bad. Count 'em down!

NumTumMum Wed 03-Apr-13 15:42:04

Oatmeal baths are good if she's very itchy. You put oats in a sock and hang it over the tap whilst the water is running and used the knotted sock to wash her. I didn't find the calamine all that effective when my dd had it unfortunately but other people do.

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 03-Apr-13 15:43:32

oatmeal baths, calamine lotion while they're in the bath I poured half a bottle each time into the water, and ice lollys. Mine didn't want to eat anything but ice lollys.

Sirzy Wed 03-Apr-13 16:04:29

Antihistamine. Cuddles and calomine

DS was a real grump for a few days and had no energy so lots of DVDs is useful!

PainForLife Wed 03-Apr-13 16:21:59

thanku all for the very useful advise... I believe she is on day 3 as she's had temp over the last 2 days. she had a ccouple of spots in her chin but today's her legs are covered so I think they're working there way up sad

I'll try the camomile first if no help oatmeal/bicarbonate soda. I'm hoping she will at least get a guy night sleep tonight.

PainForLife Wed 03-Apr-13 17:07:24

sorry guys quick her body seems to be getting red in areas - her knuckles on her hand, her toes & her back has red patches developing. is this normal?

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Apr-13 17:11:48

Doesn't sound like chicken pox to me. Chicken pox usually starts on their torso (stomach, back, chest) and then spreads out, with many dc finding it bad on their head/scalp/face too. Spots blister fairly quickly and appear rapidly.

Sounds like hand foot and mouth perhaps? DS and DD have both had this. Round the mouth, hands and feet are common places but ds also had it badly on his legs and in his nappy area. Oh and his arms but mostly his elbows. Few spots on his stomach and back.

Have you checked for ulcers?

auntiefable Wed 03-Apr-13 17:24:14

Poor thing. My Dd had it during half term, a very itchy week. I found Virasoothe cream worked well, and bicarb in the bath..think she had about 3 baths a day. Hope the itching's over soon.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 03-Apr-13 19:22:44

Scarlet fever?
German measles?
Are there blisters OP or flat red rash?

PainForLife Wed 03-Apr-13 19:29:58

oh god I think I'm just getting myself worked up. they are flat red rash but sir are red spots so it's a mixture. the rash on her feet/hands seems to be disappearing. she is itching herself a lot though. this may sound daft but watching her itch is making me itch!?!

PainForLife Wed 03-Apr-13 19:30:24

some not sir*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now