Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chest pain -- don't know if I'm overreacting or underreacting to this.

(3 Posts)
KittiesInsane Wed 27-Mar-13 14:15:28

DS1 is 17. He has Asperger's and OCD, and tends to panic about his health.

He also has (usually mild) asthma, is thinner than a rake, world's pickiest eater, tends to complain a lot about stomach aches and joint pains, looks permanently thin, tired and grey.

A few times recently he's complained about pains to the left side of his chest. It's happened before and the GP has only ever listened to his lungs or sent us to the asthma nurse.

Today I phoned to see if I could get him checked over again, explained what the problem was and was told we could have the next routine appointment (in two weeks) or an urgent one for today. i explained the problem (the one that normally gets us sent off after a cursory look) and this time the receptionist said 'I'm putting down 'chest pains' on here and they're going to want to know why you haven't come straight in or gone to A&E.'

So I've booked him the 'urgent' appointment and simultaneously feel like I'm panicking too much and not enough.

DS is never healthy, that's for sure, but how likely is it that he could have an undiagnosed, unnoticed heart problem at his age? And what would I need to push for to get it properly checked out this time (without unnecessarily panicking DS)?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 27-Mar-13 17:26:05

DD is asthmatic and chest pain is one of her asthma symptoms but I can guarantee it will always get the doctor's receptionist threatening to send us an ambulance if I mention it to them. I would say you are healthily concerned. Hopefully it'll be the same for your DS, just another symptom of asthma.

KittiesInsane Wed 27-Mar-13 19:38:43

Thanks, hell. I've just got back with him. Dr was brusque to the point of rudeness and said we really didn't need to be there 'especially after I've just seen 20 others'. Then she added that he's an adult and she wasn't going to have a three-way conversation about it with his mother.

So, net result, one more anxious DS, one pissed off GP and probably a note on the file suggesting Munchausens by proxy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now