Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

worried about my daughters health

(10 Posts)
vicfaz Tue 26-Mar-13 23:24:02

my 2yr old daughter started with vomiting and a high temp last Saturday (anywhere between 38.2 up to 43.5) it resulted in 2 febrile convulsions (she's had these before) on the Monday so she was taken to hospital but seemed to pull round after being there for a couple of hours and bigger doses of calpol and ibuprofen. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday she seemed fine but then on Friday she went down hill rapidly so our GP sent her back to the hospital. she was being sick with every bit of fluids she drank and temp was starting to rise again but I still had to fight for the doc's to keep her in the hospital as they didn't seem overly worried but I was! she stayed in all weekend and was put on anti sickness for 24 hrs. which really helped and she is still managing food and fluid now but my main concern is that in all this time (10days) she has had 1 bowel movement and VERY reduced urinating but the hospital said it should just sort it self out.....so I suppose my question is am I being overly worried about my daughter (my gut keeps telling me there is something wrong) or shall I wait it out like the hospital doc said and if so how long do I wait? there diagnosis was a viral stomach bug.

NoMoreMarbles Tue 26-Mar-13 23:31:15

Push fluids as much as she will tolerate and try and ask her to wee in a potty so you can monitor what she is passing. If she passes similar to what she takes in then I wouldn't be worried. She is likely to be dehydrated due to the bug so it may be reduced but as long as she passes some overnight then again I would try not to worry. If she hasn't weed overnight/tomorrow morning then I would be back at the GP/hospital as it would be a concern that either she is too dry and needs fluids or her kidneys may not be fairing well with the bug so either way she will need a DR to look her over.

S sorry she is ill and I hope she is feeling better very soon.

NoMoreMarbles Tue 26-Mar-13 23:35:59

Oh and I meant to say, she may not do a poo if she hasn't had any solid food due to the bug and I would concern yourself with the waterworks.

Is she keeping fluids down now? Get her a beaker cup of clear fluids ( maybe weak cordial of some sort) so she can sip at it. It's hard not to worry or to go overboard but she will drink if she needs to (illness in small children is quite primal from what i have seen so they tend to so things as their body tells them to) and a little gentle encouragement to prompt her won't do any harm.

vicfaz Tue 26-Mar-13 23:38:08

thank you for your reply,
I can't physically get her to drink more than she is doing bless her as she's drinking her normal amount from before she was ill but i'll keep trying, the hospital kept telling me she wasn't dehydrated as her lips weren't dry?! I think deep down I know I need to take her to the GP but I can't seem to make anybody understand how worried I am they just keep telling me 'there's a lot of bugs about at the min' and she'll pull round in time

NoMoreMarbles Tue 26-Mar-13 23:44:03

Her lips may be wet as she has drinking and vomiting regularly. Bollocks to the Dr who said that!

Is she in nappies still? How many wet nappies is she having? She should be having a couple a day at least when well so I would say 2-3 when unwell may be enough to expect unless there is a UTI or similar infection causing a change in waterworks...

Has she been checked for infection? UTI/kidney infections can often present with vomiting and high temp...

vicfaz Tue 26-Mar-13 23:53:03

sorry it took so long to reply she's just been sick again (1st time since Saturday)

she's still in nappies and before she was poorly I would get 4/5 soaking nappies a day but now 1 wet but not soaking from over night then 2 damp nappies all day if I'm lucky.
they did water samples all over the weekend and on Saturday said she had UTI but then on Sunday it was gone.confused

the more I'm reading my answers to your questions the more I know this needs sorting so I'm going to try the GP again tomorrow I think

NoMoreMarbles Wed 27-Mar-13 00:04:44

I would try and get another sample to the GP as of she is still this poorly she should be on anti-bs and for more than a day or two! My DD had a UTI when she was about 1yo and was on anti-bs for a week and further tests done to ensure there was no damage to her kidneys. She was fine but quite poorly at one point!

If they found a UTI what did they do? She should have been given anti-bs at that point and for at least 3 days afterwards and then wee retested then once the course was complete.

vicfaz Wed 27-Mar-13 00:08:32

they didn't do anything just said they would test again on the sunday and if it defo was then they would start anti bs but then the sunday test was clear

NoMoreMarbles Wed 27-Mar-13 00:13:41

Definitely take a sample to the GP to test tomorrow n that case. Se is likely to be struggling with the UTI and that will be why she isn't weeing properly. A untreated UTI can cause kidney damage so I would definitely go the GP tomorrow.

Hope she gets better very soon.

vicfaz Wed 27-Mar-13 09:29:33

we at the doc's at 10.30 so going to push for something to be done but there wasn't enough pee to get a sample, nappy on for 12 hrs and only a dribble!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now