Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hearing tests - frequency of?!?

(9 Posts)
Chigertick Mon 25-Mar-13 23:15:46

DS just 2 has a history of glue ear/ ear infections since 6 months old and was referred to ENT at 1 year. Had a hearing test at 15 months which showed type b and type c in either ear.
Our ENT dept doesn't routinely copy info to patients/parents but I have seen the letter suggesting a follow up in 3 months - and have discussed this twice more. I have also written to the knobhead consultant we saw asking for the follow up test.
What more can I do? They don't seem to take it seriously hmm And I am worried about future speech development if any issues are left undetected.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 26-Mar-13 09:00:12

How is your DS's speech currently? Did the audiologists assess speech at the hearing test? Some children do develop normal speech inspite of severe hearing loss - my DD did.

Chigertick Tue 26-Mar-13 09:14:45

Thanks for your reply!
Yes his speech seems fine at the moment - but I know I was like your DD and despite hearing loss had a good level of speech. This meant it was undetected for a while and caused problems with schooling - the usual re loud noise in the classroom, being v v tired all the time, terrible behaviour (at home unfortunately for my parents!).
I just really don't want this for my DS hmm
I may be worryingly unnecessarily but as he was prem, is a twin (who statistically have "worse" speech) and is a boy I can't help but be concerned. Our lovely GP shared these concerns but the consultant has been really awful and I just feel I'm not getting anywhere!
I wondered if anyone knew of any guidelines that should be followed re hearing? Should they be retested within a certain timescale? Or is it enough that the consultant himself wrote in a letter that they should be retested in 3 months (7 months ago now and no test) and I can use this with PALS?

Mumtoprem Tue 26-Mar-13 09:19:59

DD age 4 was recently diagnosed with hearing loss and given hearing aids. We have been told under 5 hearing should be retested every 6 months. Over 5 years every year.

Can't you ask GP to refer you to a different hospital?

DeWe Tue 26-Mar-13 10:43:36

Ds, whose been under ENT since about 18 months for glue ear, has hearing tests roughly every 3-6 months depending on how his hearing is/what stage the grommets are. However my GP has just, for the second time, written to the consultant requesting that he sees ds out of appointment order due to concern. We then get an appointment very quickly.

Ask your GP to write if they're open to that.

incywincyspideragain Tue 26-Mar-13 22:40:14

These are the NICE guidelines for sugical management of glue ear which states there should be 'active observation' over 3 months after glue ear is identified (page 6).

You have a right to your hospital notes - I would request them - I did, had to pay £20 admin fee but worth it to know exactly what the audiology report and recommendations were.

incywincyspideragain Tue 26-Mar-13 22:42:51

Full Guidelines for reference too

incywincyspideragain Tue 26-Mar-13 22:44:17

NDCS Glue Ear lots of good info on here and they offer good advice - might be worth a chat if you are concerned

Chigertick Tue 26-Mar-13 22:54:09

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will request the notes -again- now been 3 times in writing and twice verbally (!)
I heard today that DS has been transferred to another consultant so maybe we will actually get something sorted out now. The previous one was so rude and arrogant - but that's a whole other rant smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now