Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cream/Gel to minimise scar ?

(9 Posts)
BeaLola Fri 22-Mar-13 23:44:13

My DS has stitches due out in a week or so. Was wondering if there are any goodcreams/gels that I could apply to minimise scar/smooth it IYSWIM ?

SchroSawMargeryDaw Fri 22-Mar-13 23:45:22

There was a product test on here for a gel called Keto Cote? It got really good reviews.

corblimeymadam Sat 23-Mar-13 07:02:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gordonpym Sun 24-Mar-13 07:38:30

I had surgery to remove skin cancer on my face and the scar was quite shocking. Everybody in the street was starring at me. I used Rose Hip (Rosa mosqueta) oil first and then a very expensive cream for one year, La crème de la Mer.
Now, if you don't know and don't look for it, you don't notice it.

But most important, avoid the sun during one year minimum. Cover the scar with a plaster or tape. I cut a strip of gauze and put surgical paper tape on the borders, so the skin could breath and not get damp with sweat.

Where are the stitches? On his face?

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Sun 24-Mar-13 07:44:55

I had an op on my spine with a scar about 5 inches long. Consultant told me not to waste money on expensive scar cream and to buy a pot of nivea creme. It works. And is cheap as chips.

Bio oil or any of the above mentioned also work, but are a lot more expensive than nivea.

mrsbungle Sun 24-Mar-13 07:45:08

Hello. When dd had an op on her face aged 1, I asked the plastic surgeon what I should use. I suggested bio oil. He said use e45. He said it does the job just as well as any other creams and is less expensive.

Can hardly see her scars now.

BeaLola Wed 17-Apr-13 13:24:11

Thanks for suggestions. Yes the stiches are on face. am using nivea, e45 & cocoa butter (last recommended by friend) - oil formulation he doesn't like whereas will let Mummy use the cream ! Hopefully in time it will fade .

MelodyBaker Wed 17-Apr-13 21:43:10

Bio oil works well for scars, used it on DD's knee and on my c section scars/stretch marks and there not visible

cheekyginger Fri 19-Apr-13 21:21:34

another shout out for bio oil

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now