Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergic to plasters. Any alternatives?

(6 Posts)
hazeyjane Wed 20-Mar-13 13:38:24

Ds (2.8) is allergic to plasters - waterproof or fabric, and micropore tape. He has sn, and has had to have several blood tests, cannulas etc, and has always reacted badly, with a red blistery, itchy rash. He had such a reaction to the hyoscine patches he was prescribed for excessive drooling, that he woke up covered in blood, from scratching so much.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives to plasters, that we may not have tried!

Thankyou.

purplewithred Wed 20-Mar-13 13:41:58

Presumably it's the sticky stuff that he reacts to - use a small bandage instead? I assume you've been through the full range of hypoallergenic ones etc.

hazeyjane Wed 20-Mar-13 14:40:16

I have tried the boots hypoallergenic, which also have the same reaction. I have to provide preschool with something to use as an alternative to plasters, so I guess small bandages will do.

WhatchaMaCalllit Wed 20-Mar-13 15:08:06

Poor kid. Have you tried these:
www.boots.com/en/Savlon-Spray-Plaster-40ml_1124210/
or
Wound Dressing Pads
and then use the micropore tape to secure in place or Zinc Oxide tape?

eragon Wed 20-Mar-13 15:56:38

can you ask his med people about this reaction to plasters? it could be linked to a latex allergy.
it might be worth ruling this one out. iyswim.

problems123 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:20:50

I'm very worried, because I've been operated on my back where the surgeon has removed 2 large cysts,
2 weeks ago. I'm allergic to every dressing , and even Judy putting on lint has to be stuck down with some sort of plaster( even steri strips).which leaves burn like marks which is very painful. I'm worried about infection.
Does anyone know what to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now