Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anyone advise me about my daughters feet?

(28 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 20-Feb-13 10:15:15

Hi, my daughter is nearly 8 and has severe learning difficulties. Her co-ordination isn't great and she can't ride a bike, struggles like mad even with a balance bike or 3 wheel schooter. Her walking is fine, she can run but doesn't choose too. She complains of knee and back pain if she walks too far.

One of her feet is a whole size bigger than the other, and the smaller foot is the one that is starting to roll out. She is walking more on the outer side of that foot, and wearing down her shoes on that side. She's always had her feet measured and we buy either Start-rite or Clarks as she has wide feet.

My DH's feet are the same, he walks on the out sides of his feet and he has distorted the shape of both feet. He also suffers with back ache and knee problems. I don't want my daughters feet to go the same way.
I thought that if I saw an expert now and got her inserts or something, that would correct it early on. The shoe fitting lady said that they won't do anything, as her feet are still growing. confused

Would it be worth us seing a professional? I don't really want to wast the money on an appointment, just to be told to come back when her feet have stopped growing.

ThreeBeeOneGee Wed 20-Feb-13 10:16:52

Has she been to orthotics? There are inserts she could wear inside her shoes that might help.

ThreeBeeOneGee Wed 20-Feb-13 10:18:48

We were initially offered orthotics for DD on the NHS, but the problem resolved itself before we got an appointment through. I don't think you'd have to pay, but you might have a wait.

marriednotdead Wed 20-Feb-13 10:34:30

You would be doing no harm if you were to ask your GP for a referral to a podiatrist. Joint pain at such a young age should surely not be ignored.

mummyloveslucy Wed 20-Feb-13 10:35:35

Thank you. smile I'll see the doc first then and go from there.

mummyloveslucy Wed 20-Feb-13 10:37:53

I know. She does have poor muscle tone, and has to do excersises, which she hates. I did put it down to that, her muscles not supporting her joints well enough. It difinatly needs to be checked out though.

StuntNun Wed 20-Feb-13 10:42:34

Yes see a podiatrist. My DS1 complained whenever he had to walk anywhere, turns out his calf muscles weren't developing properly. Two or three years wearing orthotic inserts and he is now fine. It was a really simple fix.

sausagesandwich34 Wed 20-Feb-13 10:42:55

My niece got shoe inserts for back pain aged 10

Think it was a bit of a faff at the time because she went to physio first, they decided it was her gait and sent her back to gp for referral to orthopods

Worth pursuing though

Bunbaker Wed 20-Feb-13 10:42:57

Definitely insist on a podiatrist referral. It sounds like support insoles will help. DD has flat feet and has insoles to support her feet. When she walks around in flip flops or bare feet for a long time her knees hurt so the insoles make a huge difference.

kelda Wed 20-Feb-13 10:52:00

I would ask the GP for an orthopeadic surgeon. It's best to try and do something about this problem before the feet stop growing.

kelda Wed 20-Feb-13 10:52:17

Has she seen a physiotherapist?

Bunbaker Wed 20-Feb-13 10:53:38

I have just reread your post. You talk about wasting money on an appointment. Are you not in the UK?

Startail Wed 20-Feb-13 11:15:45

Talk to your GP and get a physio referral.

Ours were great at giving my DD help and exercises that have stopped her turning her ankle.

DeWe Wed 20-Feb-13 16:01:41

You can ask for referal. However my db was referred for throwing his ankle badly. Chap took look at his feet, asked dm to take her shoes off. proclaimed "Genetic deformity" and said nothing could be done.
I also have this deformity, and at least one of my dc has also inherited it. but no one else has thrown their ankles like db did.

pollypandemonium Wed 20-Feb-13 16:09:00

It's likely that she will need boots rather than shoes - sounds like she has hyper-extensible joints and this will mean that her muscles need extra strength to keep balanced.

Best thing to do is to keep nagging the doctors and if at all possible get GP to refer you to Great Ormond Street.

Does she have a general diagnosis?

mummyloveslucy Wed 20-Feb-13 18:59:42

Oh no! I hope it's not just a genetic deformity. Perhaps something could be done as her feet are still growing. How old was your DB? Was this as an adult?

I don't mind her having boots, but she'll hate it. Lol She's a very girly girl.

I'll definatly push for that referal. I thought going private would reduce the waiting list, but if she needs inserts or even boots, it could cost a fortune.

Bunbaker Wed 20-Feb-13 19:29:40

"I thought going private would reduce the waiting list"

You really don't need to go private for this.

beautifulgirls Wed 20-Feb-13 19:41:20

Orthotics have some great shoes on offer and will be the most useful here, but maybe also get occupational therapy involved too.

showtunesgirl Wed 20-Feb-13 19:47:02

I have flat feet and was referred to podiatry and had special inserts made.

I was told that podiatry is undersubscribed as opposed to ENT so I really wouldn't bother going private.

pollypandemonium Thu 21-Feb-13 08:42:03

The nhs should be able to provide what you need. You have to remind them of it though!

IDontDoIroning Thu 21-Feb-13 08:56:43

Get a referral to a podiatrist. Also check your local unis to see if they run the dregree course. I'm in Wales and my colleague took his child to the uni clinic - he saw students but also saw a few professors and the students were always supervised.

mummyloveslucy Thu 21-Feb-13 18:47:20

Thanks. I've been to the docs and she has been refered to a podiatrist. smile

kelda Thu 21-Feb-13 19:10:19

Glad you've got the ball rollingsmile

mummyloveslucy Thu 21-Feb-13 20:32:48

I noticed today while looking at her soes that she's worn a whole under each big toe. In the linning of her shoes. This has happened before on one foot, but now it's both. When it happened the first time, Start-rite replaced them saying it must've been a fault. Now I think it's more likely to be her, gripping with her big toes.
Something else tp mention to the Podietrist.

frazzledbutcalm Thu 21-Feb-13 21:51:24

I pay privately for my children to have orthotics. They cost £75 for each set of insoles and are worth every single penny. NHS one's have just been complete rubbish for us.
Btw, there's no such thing as flat feet ... it's problems with your pelvis,hips, knees or ankles rotating that cause the feet to fall inover therefore looking flat.
I'd definitely get referral from GP and take it from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now