Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11wo has a fever :(

(9 Posts)
dribbleface Sun 17-Feb-13 21:00:25

If you are worried then see someone tonight, ring back OOH and say you're not happy to wait, insist if needs be. If he seems settled and you're happy then wait till tomorrow.

It's horrible when they are so tiny. DS1 has gastroenteritis at 16 weeks. Was not nice at all. sad.

MrsWhirling Sun 17-Feb-13 16:59:20

Yes this is why I called NHS Direct & then the OOH GP as the site says to do so if they are under 3 months.

georgedawes Sun 17-Feb-13 16:02:39

It is unusual for a 11 week old to have a fever.

Under 3 months really should be checked out -

Sure he'll be fine but I'd get him looked over for peace of mind. Hope he's better soon.

MrsWhirling Sun 17-Feb-13 15:55:30

I totally agrree re OOH GP not seeing child or his records which is why I was surprised he advised alternating the calpol & neurophen. I guess that is also why I am nervous. He seems to be ok with the Calpol do unless he gets any worse I will take him to my GP who knows us well first thing. It's awful though, I feel sick with worry. My DD5 didn't have her first fever until she was at least 4 months old sad

ilovepowerhoop Sun 17-Feb-13 14:59:07

calpol gives this info (depends if you are counting him as 3 months old or not):
Infants 2-3 months (weighing more than 4kg and not premature)

2.5ml, and a second dose, if necessary, after 4-6 hours
Do not give to babies less than 2 months of age.
Do not give more than 2 doses
Leave at least 4 hours between doses.

Infants 3 to 6 months

2.5ml up to 4 times in 24 hours

georgedawes Sun 17-Feb-13 14:58:37

I'd get him looked at today, he's still really young so better to err on the side of caution.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 17-Feb-13 14:55:39

Nurofen is suitable from three months. It can be given before on say do from dr but an ooh go probably won't have records of your baby or have been able to give an exam over phone so I totally understand your reluctance there. If they r doing alright with calpol then stick to that. It's never a waste of time in a baby so young and yes it is worrying, your dp could be more supportive sad

No harm at all getting a check over if s/he is still not right tomorrow.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 17-Feb-13 14:55:19

he is borderline for having nurofen as it's from 3 months (and over 5kg) - the maximum dose in 24 hours is 2.5mls up to 3 times (at least 4 hours apart).

MrsWhirling Sun 17-Feb-13 14:51:24

My 11 wo seems to have caught the nasty virus DD5 had last week. Last night he has a temp of 38 so I called NHS Direct who got the OOH GP to call me. He diagnosed a virus and told me to alternate calpol and Neurophen and if this doesnt bring down the temp to 37 or under to get back in touch. I didn't realise an 11 wo could have neurophen & I feel nervous going it to him. Today his temp is more stable although he has had two lots of calpol. Bless him he is grumpy and at time lethargic but smiling at the moment. I am going to take him to my own GP forth thing in the morning.. Just wanted someone to share with really as DH is being a total knob and accusing me (as per usual) of over-worrying)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: