Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When does a chesty cough and cold become serious?

(11 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sat 09-Feb-13 15:24:59

Oh that's good. Hopefully he will shift it for good this time. x

notso Sat 09-Feb-13 00:09:23

Thanks for asking Sparkling he has more antibiotics so I did right to take him. He happy enough but clingier than usual.
Doctors half day is ridiculous IMO as if we can conveniently self heal on a Thursday afternoon!

Sparklingbrook Fri 08-Feb-13 23:15:06

How's he doing notso?

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Feb-13 17:00:30

shock at Doctors half day. Hope you get in tomorrow. there's always NHS Direct and Out of Hours if you are worried before then.

How does he seem now?

notso Thu 07-Feb-13 16:54:26

My Doctors is annoyingly half day on a Thursday Sparkling but I should be able to get him in tomorrow.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Feb-13 13:19:51

Is there any chance he could be seen today?

notso Thu 07-Feb-13 13:13:47

smile thanks, I love mumsnet.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Feb-13 12:53:07

That's totally understandable notso. You just want some reassurance, nothing wrong with that.

notso Thu 07-Feb-13 12:36:28

Thanks Sparklingbrook, will see if he can be seen tomorrow.

Finding it hard to trust my Mum senses after the whole thing.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Feb-13 12:15:27

I would get it checked out again notso if his chest is still rattly. Better to be on the safe side, and get the GP to have a listen at least. x

notso Thu 07-Feb-13 12:13:26

DS3 (9 months now) had a cough and cold for about three weeks over Christmas and New Year, he was a bit grumpy and eating and drinking a bit less but still generally happy. Just after New Year we had him in our bed and his chest was really rattling, I could feel it when I held him.

I took him to the Doctors expecting the usual it's a virus, but he asked for a second opinion about whether to get him admitted to Childrens Ward. As Norovirus was going round the hospital they decided to send him home with inhaler, steroids and antibiotics with instruction to go straight back if he hadn't improved by that evening, which thankfully he did. I felt awful for not taking him sooner.

Now he has had a cough and cold again for over a week, his chest is a little rattley but he seems to be clearing it with coughing. Should I take him in anyway or wait and see again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: