Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wasn't expecting this, not sure why

(17 Posts)
dikkertjedap Fri 08-Feb-13 13:14:01

Do you have any form of travel insurance (could be that you got it through bank account or something else which throws in travel insurance as a perk or maybe through your DH work)?????

If you have travel insurance they may try to argue that the treatment is for a pre-existing condition, so it is important to get some evidence that it is due to the Noro virus, as this clearly was not pre-existing.

Hope your dd starts improving soon. If you could temporarily live with your family in the UK, then I don't think anything stops you registering her with a GP today, so she would then be covered by the NHS. You will also have to apply for national insurance numbers for yourself and her, not sure if you can do it online.

You may even find a GP where you can register online, or maybe you can ask family to get some forms from their GP, fill them in and have them dropped off at the GP asap. At least this way, she gets into the system as it looks she may need some more help before she is ready to go.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Fri 08-Feb-13 10:59:12

Hi all

Yes turns out if I had registered her with a GP when we arrived all would have been OK. The bill is massive (I mean MASSIVE) and I feel stupid for making assumptions about the NHS. Dd has not been registered in her national country either.

Anyway, looks like our insurance will cover (thank god) but we had to pay a 600 pound deposit and she is still here! Basically if you are a non-dom then take out insurance or register your child on arrival with a GP.

If the insurance does not pay we are out of pocket to the tune of a new family car (and quite a nice one at that)

They will let you pay in installments if that helps.

I just pray she gets better soon!

And will know better next time.

NotADragonOfSoup Fri 08-Feb-13 09:08:23

Ah. That holiday watchdog type programme this week implied you needed the EHIIC before you travelled.

Theala Fri 08-Feb-13 08:36:27

no, you can get the ehiic card retroactively. dp did when he was hospitalized in another eu country.

op, if you are resident in another eu country, contact the health service in and ask them fir advice.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Feb-13 08:24:09

Yes so many who are not even legally here use the NHS gratis.

LadyMargolotta Fri 08-Feb-13 08:19:48

I assume one of you have dual nationality, which is why your dd has an EU passport from another country rather then a Bristish passport?

Hope your dd gets well soon. Maybe you can ask to speak to the hospital's social worker for advice about payment.

LadyMargolotta Fri 08-Feb-13 08:02:30

Do you not have health insurance from your country of residence that would cover this?

Yika Fri 08-Feb-13 08:01:05

Really surprised/shocked at that, assumed treatment was free to UK and EU nationals. Do you have medical insurance in your country of residence? Would it cover treatment abroad?

NotADragonOfSoup Fri 08-Feb-13 07:59:23

Oh, what a nightmare! sad

I think you need to have the EHIIC card before you travel/have problems.

Where are you resident? If it's in the eu you can fill out an e111 form or show your EHI card if you have one and you'll be covered.

If outside the eu, any chance your credit card has automatic travel insurance? What about bank accounts? Ring all your financial companies and check

TanteRose Fri 08-Feb-13 07:45:05

My kids and I have British nationality, but are not resident, so when we travel to the UK, I always take out travel health insurance (well, its automatic through my credit card)

I can also claim back through the national health service in my country of residence

TanteRose Fri 08-Feb-13 07:43:35

do you not have travel insurance? you can reimburse the bill with that, surely

FanjolinaJolie Fri 08-Feb-13 07:40:53

Is your DD not British?

dm1mum Tue 05-Feb-13 21:25:29

Hi Ophelias, really sorry to hear DD is in hospital. I hope she recovers quickly. Have you managed to get anywhere with the reflux side of things? Hope you are ok and have some RL support x

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 05-Feb-13 18:22:53

Thanks. Just kind of confirms that we are ineligible.

beautifulgirls Tue 05-Feb-13 16:28:43

I don't know if this is of any help? (you'll need adobe to open it),d.d2k

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 05-Feb-13 15:28:31

We are expats but British. Dd is has an EU country passport. Dd has norovirus and has been in an NHS hospital for two days.

The finance department has shown us the daily bill.

I just cried.

Half of me wishes I lied in the beginning and said we live her. I know that would be wrong.

No idea why I wasn't expecting a bill. It's Huge.

And no sign of discharge yet.

So expats beware. Make sure you have insurance. Not sure if mine will pay out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now