Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oral thrush is three week old

(8 Posts)
1978andallthat Tue 22-Jan-13 14:56:13

Midwife says ds, 3 weeks, has oral thrush. Not surprise as being treated for thrush in nappy area and I had it badly week after he was born (always do when messed around with down there).

Question is do my nipples need to be treated to ensure not passed backwards and forwards? How are they treated? Midwife said not but internet research suggests otherwise.

Appt with Gp at 4.30 but any answers before then appreciate. Will put in adult health.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 22-Jan-13 19:43:02

Yes you do need to be treated else you'll just pass it back and forth. My LO had thrush and had nystatin drops, which didn't work so we were given a gel. I was given a cream.

1978andallthat Tue 22-Jan-13 19:45:52

Doc said only issue for me if I have cracked nipples. Not convinced though. What cream were you given?

narmada Tue 22-Jan-13 21:03:12

Nope GP completely wrong, sorry. You both need treating. For you daktarin oro- mucosal gel? I think they will only give nystatin for babies that small.

Breastfeeding network has a good leaflet - sorry haven't worked out how to link on this phone .

1978andallthat Tue 22-Jan-13 21:07:36

Thanks Narmada. Wonder if I can buy that over the counter?

pixi2 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:12:48

My hv told me to rub ds' nystatin cream on my nipples after a feed. Doctor said I didn't need treating. It was only when I told the hv we were on the third bottle of nystatin I was given this advice. She said I should have been treated too.

1978andallthat Tue 22-Jan-13 21:21:46

The nystatin da has been given is liquid administered by dropper. May call Gp tomorrow and ask for phone chat with nice doc. Hv also coming over so can ask her.

narmada Tue 22-Jan-13 23:09:53

Yes, you can deffo buy daktarin over the counter. Nystatin is not always effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now