Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Teething question - please advise

(9 Posts)
ItWasntUs Fri 18-Jan-13 20:16:43

DS is nearly 9 months and hasn't managed a tooth yet but has been pulling ears and, more recently, shaking his head from side to side occasionally (but particularly in the early evening).

He's been to the Dr's recently over something else and they had a look in his ears etc and said they were clear.

We're just a bit concerned about having to give him a dose of Calpol (although we give him only 2.5 or 3ml instead of 5ml) most evenings.

We spoke to the health visitor who just said to give the full dose.

How long should this go on for before a tooth appears and is the head shaking normal?

Thanks for any replies
DK

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 18-Jan-13 20:22:06

2.5 is the correct dose i think anyway. im sure its 5ml at 12m+. if you want to give pain relief then do so.

he may just be learning to shake his head. my ds shook his head all the time once he learned he could.

can you see any white bits in his gums? if you think he is teething perhaps some teething gel may be better? bonjela or anbesol are good.smile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 18-Jan-13 20:23:56

and teething can last up to a couple of weeks (sometimes longer) all depending on which tooth is cutting through. the first to.come are usually bottom middle incisor.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 18-Jan-13 20:34:54

I think 5ml is correct for calpol and 2.5 for nurofen, personally I have been giving my ds full doses of both, his face lights up when he sees the bottle so it must help him, he is 9m too and I think his first tooth is imminent! I know it somehow seems weird to drug our children but if it was my tooth I'd take anything I could get! Yes to teething gel too, hope the tooth pops out soon smile

ItWasntUs Fri 18-Jan-13 20:35:34

Thanks for the replies. I just checked on the Calpol website and it's "5ml up to 4 times in 24 hours" for 6-24mths - but maybe it has changed as it said 'latest dosing advice.'

We've had a look in his mouth but can't see anything. We've also tried some of the homeopathic teething granules (magic water) and they do tend to calm him a little bit but I'll take your advice on the gel.

He seems pretty happy and doesn't kick up too much of a fuss about it so it can't be bothering him a lot. Then again, ds does seem to be very laid back!

Thanks again.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 18-Jan-13 20:37:01

Also, I would try not o worry about giving him calpol in the eve, if he was having max of everything everyday, I would prob worry then, speak to pharmacist if you're still worried, they can also give free calpol/nurofen for teething

brainonastick Fri 18-Jan-13 20:39:29

I wouldn't worry about, if he's miserable and it helps him sleep, it's fine. I'm not sure I would give medicine just for head shaking though, if that's what you meant? Dd2 was an awful teether (she once passed out with the pain!) and was practically weaned on Calpol and calprofen.

AlexisCarringtonColby Fri 18-Jan-13 20:40:47

DD learnt to shake her head at 9mo and we did spend a few days worrying that she had something wrong with her head!

Teething is just horrible, so I'm a bit of a fan of Calpol when they seem to be in pain, even if it means you are giving it most evenings for a few weeks.

Off the top of my head, we have a bad week of horrible nappies, crying, red cheeks, disturbed sleep, which them calmed down a bit, and about 3 weeks later the teeth came through. One good way of seeing properly if their teeth are coming through is to look when they're upside down! Luckily DD loves being tipped upside down, so we try and peek while playing with her.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 18-Jan-13 21:02:25

i stand corrected re the dosage. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now