Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

child in dds class has scarlet fever - how likely is it that she'll get it?

(8 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 17-Jan-13 19:19:59

I'm looking online and it says very contagious - anyone got any anecdotal evidence for me? More worried about Ds getting it tbh as he's covered in eczema already sad

birthdaycakenovice Thu 17-Jan-13 19:27:27

Try not to worry. If they catch it just get the antibiotics, it is not as scary a disease as it used to be. With antibiotics there is little to worry about. Without antibiotics there are risks of complications, hence why it is a notifiable disease.

My DS had it and it wasn't too bad (anecdotal: hope others gave the same experience!). It was less upsetting than chicken pox because the antibiotics made him feel better extremely quickly (from groaning on the sofa looking v unwell and refusing to drink because his throat was so sore, to running around playing within 24 hrs.)

lljkk Thu 17-Jan-13 19:33:25

I read that it stops being contagious very quickly after antibiotic treatment starts. It's a bug ubiquitous in the environment, and only seems to strike when the person is otherwise run down (if I remember right).

DD attended a birthday party where the host child had SF, had been diagnosed about 24 hours earlier IIRC. The birthday boy mum had been told he would no longer be contagious already. I don't think anybody came down ill afterwards.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 17-Jan-13 19:36:21

That's reassuring, thankyou both smile

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 18-Jan-13 16:00:12

Two of mine had it but my youngest never caught it from them.

meditrina Fri 18-Jan-13 16:02:59

It's nowhere near as serious a disease as it used to be (and which you might easily believe it to be if you're a fan of Victorian literature). Not only does it seem to have become milder (it's essentially a sore throat plus rash), it responds to ABs.

LIZS Fri 18-Jan-13 16:05:12

Same virus can present as Strep throat which is very contagious until AB's have been administered for 24 hours.

florry88 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:59:36

we caught it a few years back from my then 6 year old, myself , my husband and my 9 week old all came down with it on the same day ( xmas day!!) felt fine after 12 hours starting the antibiotics.

I think D and V bugs are worse to be honest, in terms of feeling ill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now