Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could I have some wisdom and support.

(17 Posts)
wonderstuff Tue 15-Jan-13 20:59:20

Feeling totally shattered. DD (5) had plastic surgery on Monday to correct deformed big toes she was born with. She is now at home, in lots of discomfort, she has a cast over both feet and ankles, crying, screaming alot - she doesn't know what to do with herself. I totally focused on the op and didn't really think about recovery, I feel tired (was in hospital last night) emotional, very guilty to put her through this. In hospital they gave her liquid morphine, which of course sorted her out, now we have calpol alternated with ibuprofen and it isn't really cutting it yet. Casts come off Feb 19th - 34 days.

Sirzy Tue 15-Jan-13 21:45:07

If she is still in so much pain phone the ward back up and try to arrange something stronger, I am sure they will be able to give something else to help.

Hope she is better soon

wonderstuff Tue 15-Jan-13 21:48:10

I don't think they can, because she is so young, it seems that there is nothing in between morphine and ibuprofen. They said that the morphine was really effective but it was a shock everytime it wore off, and she needs to get used to not having it. I'd be all for her being blotto for 5 weeks til the casts come off, but doesn't seem to be an option.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 15-Jan-13 21:55:18

Definitely phone the ward or out of hours GP for a prescription if something stronger if she's in lots of pain. I would ask about codeine as it's a good step up & will help her sleep.

gordonpym Tue 15-Jan-13 21:59:14

Nothing between morphine and ibuprofen? Come on, there are plenty of alternatives.Call, make a fuss, say you're bringing her back. Pain in one thing, discomfort another. The first can be eased with meds, the second she has to learn to live with for weeks, I agree with that.
Age has nothing to do. Plenty of children - even babies - undergo surgery and receive drugs.

wonderstuff Tue 15-Jan-13 22:05:25

Really? OK will - on ward they said that the alternative to ibuprofen was liquid morphine - which they gave her last night and this morning.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 15-Jan-13 22:44:42

They have a responsibly to manage her pain. they should have either have kept her in with morphine a bit longer or provide an effective alternative.

It's not acceptable to neglect her pain management. This is what the analgesia ladder is for. Feel quite cross in your behalf.

The out of hours might be more yseful, they can fax a prescription to your nearest pharmacy. Hope she feels better soon.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 15-Jan-13 22:45:26

They have a responsibly to manage her pain. they should have either have kept her in with morphine a bit longer or provide an effective alternative.

It's not acceptable to neglect her pain management. This is what the analgesia ladder is for. Feel quite cross in your behalf.

The out of hours might be more yseful, they can fax a prescription to your nearest pharmacy. Hope she feels better soon.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Wed 16-Jan-13 09:04:54

How is she today OP? Any luck with the pain relief?

wonderstuff Wed 16-Jan-13 21:00:06

We had a bad night, dh called the ward and spoke to the consultant on call, we went in again today and have been prescribed codine smile

I am cross that this wasn't prescribed before we left but at least we have what she needs now.

Today she is so much better and more comfortable, much more like her. We also have ds back, he had been with dm and dmil, and we have been missing him like crazy. They cuddled up together, dh and I both got a bit teary.

Lots of distraction seems to be the way forward, we have lots of magazines and books and we panic bought a innopad at 6pm last night! I am super tired, been like having a new born topping up her meds. Everyone at work is under instructions not to be too nice to me or I'll cry. 32 days to go.

OrchidFlakes Wed 16-Jan-13 21:04:57

Bless her. I had toe surgery a couple of years ago and it was excruciating.

One thing I found was if my foot was cold the pain was a lot worse... Just in case it helps her x

wonderstuff Wed 16-Jan-13 21:31:05

Thanks OrchidFlakes - her feet are completely enclosed in the cast, so hopefully that is fairly snuggly - we did try to put some socks on but she insisted they hurt and took them off. Will try again now that the pain is better. She can't bare it when it gets itchy or tickly, although I must say she is dealing with it better than I would. She has been smiling and laughing a bit today.

marriedinwhite Wed 16-Jan-13 21:38:22

Oh poor wee thing and you. Glad you got it sorted. Good luck.

wonderstuff Thu 17-Jan-13 23:18:33

So today she was much more herself, was just lovely. I called a friend who is a pead. nurse and she suggested that to get her up and about we could do with some bootie things on her casts and a frame. Salisbury had thought of crutches, but decided she wouldn't be able to use them and so cancelled the occupational therapist appointment on ward, but hadn't considered any alternatives. I'm cross that they were so keen to get us home as quickly as possible they didn't leave us very well equipped to cope with aftercare. Anyway I called the pead. physiotherapy dept. at my local hospital and have an appt. for tomorrow morning, they were so helpful on the phone. She put weight on her feet today and walked a few steps, she also got upstairs under her own steam and bottom shuffled to the toilet. I'm hoping she'll be back at school before the end of next week.

I'm so relieved that I came on here, because I wouldn't have called the hospital back otherwise, and so glad I spoke to my friend and have the appt tomorrow.

gordonpym Fri 18-Jan-13 08:39:55

It's sad, but that's the way it is. If you make a fuss and are a real pain in the ass, they take you seriously. I'm glad she's feeling better. It's so awful when your child is in pain and you can't do anything. Booties are good. They give a sense of protection and balance as you don't slip so much on hard floor, especially if you have both feet in cast. Wait a couple of weeks and you'll see her running in them!

wonderstuff Fri 18-Jan-13 17:13:06

So today she has a frame and some booties and I am having to tell her to slow down grin Our local hospital was fantastic. All the staff on the ward were cheering her on as she made her first steps.

marriedinwhite Fri 18-Jan-13 17:57:55

So pleased. That's brilliant. Good luck for the next month or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now