Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby has mild-moderate croup, how long will he be contagious?

(6 Posts)
Cydonia Sun 13-Jan-13 11:00:19

DS is 7 1/2 months, I took him to the doctors on Friday as he had a bad cough and was very wheezy, which had started the night before. Of course by the time we got to the surgery he was much better, doctor diagnosed croup and was fairly dismissive.

DS is much better already, just the occasional cough/wheeze. Will he be ok to go to baby groups and swimming next week or should I give it a miss? Don't want to infect anyone!

Kormachameleon Sun 13-Jan-13 11:04:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ForFoxsGlacierMints Sun 13-Jan-13 11:04:07

Croup is just a symptom of a cough / cold, not an ailment in its own right so he'll be fine to attend his groups.

Spinaroo Sun 13-Jan-13 11:05:50

I think the cold is the contagious thing and I wouldn't avoid contact with others for a cold. Croup is a horrible thing though and can be quite terrifying, both for child and adult. When my daughter has a it I don't let her go swimming.

Spinaroo Sun 13-Jan-13 11:07:33

Sorry, posted too early- what I mean is if she has had a bout of croup in the week I make sure she is fully well again before she goes swimming.

Cydonia Sun 13-Jan-13 12:30:43

Ah right, thanks, I think the doctor confused me by saying it was caused by a virus. When I asked him if DS would be contagious he just said ' well how do you think he got it? ' He was a bit of a tosser. TBH! We're not going swimming til Thursday so I'll see how he is then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now