Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear infection and perforated ear drum at 3 weeks old

(8 Posts)
NichyNoo Thu 10-Jan-13 15:06:07

DS is three weeks old and has just spent a few nights in hospital due to perforated ear drum sad His older brother had a virus and baby caught a sniffle from him. No fever, didn't seem to be in pain then suddenly had pus coming out of his ear.

A&E hospitalised him and put him on IV antibiotics for 4 days and we now have oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops at home. Has anyone experienced this in such a small baby? Does it mean that every cold will turn into a perforated drum? I am really worried and doctors at the hospital couldn't give me any answers. Plus I'm concerned about him being pumped so full of antibiotics at such a young age sad

amazingmumof6 Thu 10-Jan-13 20:21:02

not so small, but DS3 had the same thing several times (no other symptoms either, not even a snuffle,and you wouldn't know for he talks a lot and well! just gunk) between ages of 15 months-2 years. awful, I do sympathize!

he had both eardrums burst at the same time 3-4 times, and was technically deaf for those days/weeks, which slightly effected his speech development, but he's 8 now and absolutely fine speech-wise!
not had the problem for years, though has had many colds.

not sure how to prevent it, you could carry on with saline nose drops too loosen up any mucus in nose/sinuses, if these get blocked the puss will come through the ears!

some might suggest to use a humidifier and it might work to clear his airway,
but for some types of mucus steam or moisture actually make matters worse as the water makes it swell (think of dry pasta v. cooked pasta!), so dry heat is better - he is to young for infra red light treatment, but there might be an alternative to this that's suitable for him.

hope this helps.

and BTW congratulations! smile

Loftyjen Thu 10-Jan-13 21:08:18

Because of little 'uns age, the anti-biotics are v necessary - he won't have been prescribed more than needed. (They will have worked out the doses v carefully - am a Paeds nurse & similarly been careful to ensure correct dosages given).

Without them, being only 3 wks old a bacterial infection could easily get into the blood supply & cause septicaemia or meningitis.

You're very lucky that you spotted it (although with pus coming out of his ear guess you couldn't help it wink).

Would suggest getting a follow up review with your GP once the ab's have finished and discuss your ear concerns then - am unsure about potential longterm affects so can't answer that bit!

amazingmumof6 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:27:40

agree with you Lofty , he definitely needs the medicine, pros v. cons he'd be worse off without!

MrsBungleBear Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:38

I feel for you OP. My DS has had this 3 times now and he is 7 months. First time was at about 3 months so older than your little one.

Each time he has had anti biotics and got over it very quickly.

My DS did have an operation for something unrelated at 3 weeks old though and was on antibiotics drip in hospital for 4 days - it's horrible.

Hope your baby is right as rain and home soon.

DeWe Thu 10-Jan-13 22:05:35

My ds wasn't that young, but he had his first ear infection at about 10 weeks old. Temperature, very miserable etc. Put on antibiotics. Unfortunately it started a cycle of ear infections about every 10-14 days that only finished at 20 months when he had his first set of grommets.

He's got a few problems still age 5yo. He's had 2 sets of grommets, and currently got glue ear, but they don't want to do more grommets as one ear seems to be okay (just about). It has effected his speech, he has SALT. Vocab. is/has always been fine, but some pronunciation is on the low side of average. SALT has helped, he was quite behind at one point. Behaviour deteriorates with glue ear too-last year in reception the teachers could predict an infection coming the day before by his behaviour.

He has mild resistance (we think) to one type of antibiotics.
He now is an expert in not taking medication. He's currently on antibiotics for a chest infection, and he's the best yet in taking them-he only hides, sticks his hands over his mouth, screams, and retches after taking.

But when his glue ear is better (over the summer) his hearing is easily into the normal level, and given another couple of years, hopefully he'll have grown out of it, and be fine.

ReallyTired Thu 10-Jan-13 22:12:14

My son had his first perforation at 8 months. He experienced 13 perforations between the ages of 8 months and 7 years. He grommets at 3 and half which he didn't get on with and then temporary hearing aids for 18 months. He had his last hearing test aged 10 and passed.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I am sorry you are having such a traumatic time. I think the hospital did the right thing putting your baby on anti biotics for such a severe ear infection in such a little baby.

NichyNoo Sat 12-Jan-13 15:48:33

Thanks for the comments...good to know that DS isn't the only one to suffer from this. I just can't believe he is ill already at only 3 weeks old sad

I think the antibiotics are messing with his tummy and bottom. He has always been very windy but I think he has slight diarrhoea now and awful nappy rash. We have a doctor appointment on Monday to see if his ear has dried up and to check his bottom.

Being on the hospital paediatric ward made me realise how lucky we are to have antibiotics. All the children who were there with us probably wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for antibiotics sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: