Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

scar cream

(7 Posts)
SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Wed 09-Jan-13 23:18:49

I need the best available for use with a child basically. Any thoughts gratefully received. We're trying to avoid an op to 'repair'/resect it.

MiceElfAgin Thu 10-Jan-13 00:14:09

Prolagene by Decleor is supposed to be good for scarring.

strawberrypenguin Thu 10-Jan-13 00:16:14

Almond oil helps keep a scar 'soft' and supple so it doesn't pull too much

BrassMonk Thu 10-Jan-13 00:48:50

If you or a friend will be in France any time soon, get biafine at a pharmacy. It's available over the counter for about 8 euros. Original use was for radiation therapy burns, so works amazingly on newly created scars.

May09Bump Thu 10-Jan-13 01:07:37

If it's in the healing stage my consultant (one of the best laser / cosmetic surgeons in the world) recommends aquaphor (i think you can get it from boots now). My son has laser suregry every two months for a large facial birth mark and this stuff has prevented him scarring.

Maybe speak to a cosmetic surgeon in the uk, Great Ormand Street may be able to advise if you contact them. Also, if it does scar the laser treatment they are doing on scars is unbelieveable and there is also the make up option - the red cross advise on medical cover-up make up which is brilliant.

You haven't said what procedure your child has had or if its a bump, so some of my suggestions may not be of help. With birthmarks, there is a forum which you can email surgeons with questions - is there anything like this for your childs condition?.

Hope this helps!

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Thu 10-Jan-13 12:40:03

Thank you. It's the result of a nasty laceration to his forehead. Unfortunately, it was incorrectly treated at our local hospital and would have immediately been operated on by plastics if he'd been referred on. By the time we were sent to them, it was too badly contaminated, and we are left with a nasty scar that is very sore. The plastics team will review again in two weeks as they are not happy with it.

beautifulgirls Thu 10-Jan-13 14:03:04

kelocote gel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: