Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dodgy dentist - what should I do?

(2 Posts)
Disappearing Sat 05-Jan-13 01:53:00

My DD had a dental abscess a few months ago, and our usual dentist referred her to another clinic to have a tooth extracted. She's 7 y.o. which is why our dentist referred her, as they don't routinely do extractions or major work on children. We see our own dentist quite regularly as DD has 2 fillings which sometimes come out and need replacing, it was one of these 2 teeth that needed extracting as there had been some decay under the filling.

I wasn't happy with the dentists at the other clinic, for various reasons, the most serious being that they wanted to give DD a further 8 fillings (!!!), which I felt were not needed, I've since seen 2 other dentists that have confirmed my suspicions, all DD's other teeth are just fine, no further fillings are needed. Just the remaining one filling needed 'topping up' as it was a bit worn.

My other complaints with these other dentists include - impossibly long waiting times (DD had to wait for 3 months for the extraction due to abscess, all the while she had pus in her gums!); they strung out the treatment e.g. they had proposed to do the fillings one at a time, so over 8 further appointments ( to avoid her being stressed they advised this); one time when we were 5 mins late they refused to see her, even though there was at least 15 mins left of her appointment (poss even 25 mins left I don't know if appt was for 20 or 30 mins), plus other minor gripes.

It was after they refused to see her that one time I discharged her from their care and took her back to our own dentist, I'm so glad now I did.

We were seen on the NHS, though this other clinic is run by a private company who presumably is paid by the NHS, on our behalf.

So now I want to complain, but I'm not sure who to complain to. I don't even know who manages this other clinic, or who ultimately pays for the treatment. What would you do?

beautifulgirls Sat 05-Jan-13 09:27:41

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1777.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742 Take a read here and it should point you in the right direction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now