Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

temp back up to 39....

(7 Posts)
mamawharton Thu 03-Jan-13 23:57:21

took dd to primary care tuesday night with a temp of 39.4 she was diagnosed with tonsilitis, chest and conjuctivitis. been on penicillin, drops and calpol since. not much improvement but a little other than temp dropping. dd just woke up screaming with her eyes sealed shut and her temp is back up to 39!!! so worried about her i just don't know what to do!! surely the penicillin should be kicking in by now!! I've stripped off her bedding so just got her pajamas on but worried about her temp not dropping. any advice xxxx

ThePigOfHappiness Fri 04-Jan-13 00:13:50

When did she last have calpol? Do you have neurofen you can use too? Lots of drinks too. I would remove pjs and use a wet face cloth to cool her down. Penicillin must not be the right antibiotic, I would be back at the gp in the morning or at a and e if you can't get her temp down in 4 hours.

narmada Fri 04-Jan-13 00:16:49

You could call OOH doc for advice. I think you are right that the anti-bs should be doing at least something by now. Maybe it is viral tonsilitis rather than bacterial. Either way give them a call. They won't mind.

Is yr Dd very little?

DoctorAnge Fri 04-Jan-13 00:18:51

Yes should have been down by now you need new AB.

That is an awful lot of infections going in in a little body. Poor thing!

mamawharton Fri 04-Jan-13 00:33:55

she is 10 months old and has really suffered for the last few days. tbh she has been off colour with one thing or another for 4 weeks. first a sickness bug then a cough and cold that never really left. we took her to the Dr 2 weeks ago that said it was just phlegm stuck in her throat and now this has developed. i gave her calpol and penicillin about 45 mins ago.....temp now down to 37.2!!!

mamawharton Fri 04-Jan-13 00:49:06

thanks for the replies by the way.... forgot my manners in my panic lol xxxx

BadWickedWorld Fri 04-Jan-13 01:10:20

Good that her temp has come down, poor little thing. I second the ibuprofen advice, this can be alternated with calpol and is sometimes more effective. It hasn't been that long on the penicillin tbh, I would see how you go, if no improvement towards the end of the course or getting worse pop back to the gp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now