Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Support needed wheezy baby

(31 Posts)
charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 00:27:20

Waiting for doc. Had week of DS with viral wheeze. He's on steroids and inhaler. He is five months and had slight chesty issues since birth.

Breathing now faster-50 and very flemmy and cough. Tug under chin. Sleeping from drive but been nightmare for let few hours constantly agitating and coughing and wheezing.

Very scared for my DS. Need some tlc and any thoughts from people who have more experience than me.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 03-Jan-13 00:28:24

Can you get him in a steamy room? And prop him upright?

charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 00:32:09

Tried that but no joy. Inhaler not helped and unhappy bunny. Got out of hours doc appt and am waiting for doc to finish with another patient. In terrible state. Sleep deprived and stress not good.

nannyof3 Thu 03-Jan-13 00:33:30

I think a&e

BeaWheesht Thu 03-Jan-13 00:36:38

Are you at ooh now? Sounds like he has tracheal tugging so I'd go to a&e.

Does he have a fever?

Id consider asking for a chest X-ray if it sounds clear but your instinct says otherwise.

mybabyweightiseightyearsold Thu 03-Jan-13 00:40:58

I've been there with mine. I's hard to feel rational after you've been up with poorly baby...but, trust your instincts.

a breathing rate of 50+ is an emergency.

Where are you? I'm surprised they only gave you an OOH appointment, if it was my baby with tugging under his chin, rapid rate of breathing and coughing despite the treatment...I'd be at a+E.

A wee nebuliser and a squoosh of a steroid does remarkable things for them. Don't hang about. You know you want to be seen quickly - you are right.

charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 00:41:15

At ooh now waiting for doc. He is sleeping without being restless and colour good so these things good. But breathing fast, flemmy and looks like tug but I'm reluctant to move him.

If really bad colour would be worse and he wouldn't stay asleep yes? Also while breathing between 40-50 not racing at 60 like it has been.

He's had a crackle for last week which we have been managing. This though is flemmy we outwardly noisy.

charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 00:41:46

Slight fever but only v slight

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 03-Jan-13 00:42:25

If you're worried call an ambulance, they won't mind coming out to a wheezy baby.

mybabyweightiseightyearsold Thu 03-Jan-13 00:47:14

That's good, the doc will have everything on hand to give him, and it's good that his breathing's settling a bit.

There's not mistaking the ghastly grey tone, so if his colour is good that's great.

Are you worried that he's going to become seriously unwell before the medic sees him?

You are in the right place, he'll get assessed and you'll know what you are dealing with. Their wee chests do perk up as quickly as they go downhill.

hang on in there.

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 03-Jan-13 00:50:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlemiss06 Thu 03-Jan-13 01:34:24

It sounds like bronchiolitis to me hun I would take him straight to hospital, hope all is ok and hes soon better x

Sirzy Thu 03-Jan-13 07:18:39

Hope he is ok now but please don't hesitate to go straight to a and e if it happen again

charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 09:41:05

Been in hospital overnight. Sats 96
on entry; 89 this am; nebuliser given; breathing fast but colour good and generally happy when awake and feeding-less than normal but able to. Slight fever.

Help-how worried should I be? Been coughing for week and today 5th day of steroids. 4th child and none of others has anything like this.

Sirzy Thu 03-Jan-13 09:46:21

Sounds like bronchiolitis? Try not to worry to much, as scary as it all is he will be fine.

Are he sats coming back up after the neb? If not they may need to give some oxygen just to help him.

Hope he feels better soon

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 03-Jan-13 09:47:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 09:56:46

Still at hospital. Will ask for x ray as he sounds so flemmy.

Sats go to 93 after neb. 95 during. Not sure what 'good' is

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 03-Jan-13 09:57:31

Is he on oxygen?

Sirzy Thu 03-Jan-13 09:59:37

Ideal is over 98, under about 91 is normally when they start oxygen.

TheSecondComing Thu 03-Jan-13 10:00:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 03-Jan-13 10:04:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mybabyweightiseightyearsold Thu 03-Jan-13 10:15:10

To be honest, charity, I wouldn't worry now.

The dangerous time for wheezy kids is before they get treatment. Once steroids have started and they are on the neb/inhaler protocol they WILL improve. And, you'll know they are improving because the oxygen readings will change.

Sats sound ok, and if feeding - well, that's brilliant.

I found it a struggle to get information about what was going on the first few times middley was admitted. They are reluctant to label kids with asthma - you get "viral induced wheeze" until there's enough of a pattern to say whether this is going to be an ongoing drama. Once diagnosed, you'll get access to an asthma nurse, with whom you'll fall slightly in love.

Why don't you tell the named nurse that you don't understand what the numbers are, what the prognosis is and you are concerned incase there's a pneumonia?

To be honest, seeing kids like yours is the bread and butter work of a medical ward. They have truckloads of them coming in and out every three days - and, when it's a new situation for a parent it's easy for the staff to forget that they don't know what's going on.

I feel for you, the first time my middley did this was the singlemost terrifying experience of my life.

Sounds like things are improving. Glad you are on the ward. Go and ask a nurse what's going on, and then get off the ward. There's probably somewhere you can have a shower, a cup of tea and have a right good cry.


charitymum Thu 03-Jan-13 13:27:10

Thanks so much. My children's paediatrician happened to be consultant on rounds and I was so relieved to see him I almost hugged him.

Keeping us in til his sats rise but not giving him O2 at moment. On antibiotics just in case bacterial. He's lost his voice poor thing-keeps babbling but nothing comes out and he looks slightly confused,

Feeding though so that a comfort.

Then when allowed out referred to
Bromptom for follow up with respiratory specialist.

Thought I'd seen lots of a and e dept with oldest three-this DS bearing them all!

Thanks so much.

Sirzy Thu 03-Jan-13 14:32:02

Glad they are doing the follow up so quickly. Hope he is better soon

mybabyweightiseightyearsold Thu 03-Jan-13 18:37:02

That's great news, charity

Our follow up care has been fantastic. Most kids grow out of it, certainly, mine's now 7 and copes really well.

For all the buzz and bustle, hospitals are really lonely places in my experience. Hope you get home soon and the resp specialist is to your liking.

But, between times, if you are not happy, take him up again. It'll be a breeze next time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: