Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS still asleep, what to do?

(950 Posts)
ClutchingPearls Wed 02-Jan-13 13:18:09

DS is 15 months, been generally a bit grumpy for a week. Last night he was especially grumpy so calpol'ed him at put him to bed, he had a slight temperature. He hasnt woken since.

Waiting for an "urgent" call from GP nurse which will be this afternoon or possibly this evening.

Nothing specific, slight temp, was occasionally pulling at ears, decreased appetite. But he's completely un rousable, changed nappy with DD1 and 2 in the room jumping about and he just slept. He obviously is responsive because I've got a few oz of water into him and nurophen in him. But I cant wake him any more than that. So he's been asleep for 17 hours looks poorly but not collapsed. Occasional small cry but by the time I've got to his door he's asleep again.

So MNers should I call the GPs again, NHS direct or am I just wittling about nothing and let him sleep it off. DD2 has complex medical needs and I'm always on the ball with her getting her seen as appropriate. But a normal "abit unwell and sleeping child" has completely thrown me.

Sugarice Wed 02-Jan-13 13:41:54

I would phone NHS direct seeing as your GP doesn't seem too concerned .

ClutchingPearls Wed 02-Jan-13 13:42:16

A & E is an 1/2 walk and train ride away ( that DD doesnt cope well with) so if he needs seeing it would be good if the GPs to do it first if possible rather than wait for trains (1 an hour). Off to give waking him another go.

gymboywalton Wed 02-Jan-13 13:42:41

i would go to a and e right now

Sleepingbunnies Wed 02-Jan-13 13:43:02


Hope he is ok!

gymboywalton Wed 02-Jan-13 13:43:19

dial 999 for an ambulance

your child is unrousable

he needs medical attention

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:43:52

Actualy, sod NHS direct - call 999 now, and give them the symptoms. If they are concerned they will send an ambulance.

fatcuntroller Wed 02-Jan-13 13:44:04

If you can't rouse him, you need to take him to a&e. How hard have you tried? Have you called his name, prodded him, stripped him off, blown on his face?

Sirzy Wed 02-Jan-13 13:44:17

Call a taxi and get to a and e. why waste time waiting for a Gp who may not be able to see him?

If he is as unrousable as you say he needs seeing

porthcurnick Wed 02-Jan-13 13:44:40

Bring him downstairs, see if you can wake him up.

If after you have really tried to rouse him, he won't focus on you, A&E.

Don't think just turning up at GP will help.

ClutchingPearls Wed 02-Jan-13 13:44:42

Sorry I hate threads like this everyone says A&E and the op makes excuses, Its just if I can get the GP to see him before 4ish then he will be seen a lot sooner than I can get him to A&E.

gymboywalton Wed 02-Jan-13 13:45:06

this is the first page of the symptom checker on nhs direct

Who the symptom checker is for
This health and symptom checker is for yourself or someone you are with. It may not be safe to use if the person you are enquiring for is not with you.

Before continuing with this health and symptom checker you need to make sure that:

the person is conscious and reacting to you normally or
if they are asleep, that they react to gentle shaking.
If you are with the person and you can't get them to react in any way, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Make a big effort to wake him up ie stick him in a cool bath or something, im not a worrier at all but if that didnt work id be up to A&E. He's prob sleeping off a virus but I wouldnt take the risk. no doubt he'll wake up the second you get into A&E

CheungFun Wed 02-Jan-13 13:45:24

I would agree with the other posters that if you can't speak to a professional and the GP surgery is closed for lunch and you can't get to the hospital easily then ring 999 and they will have the experience to know what to do next.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:45:38

The NHS symptom checker says

"the person is conscious and reacting to you normally or
if they are asleep, that they react to gentle shaking."

"If you are with the person and you can't get them to react in any way, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance."

Banderchang Wed 02-Jan-13 13:46:21

Not if you call an ambulance, surely. Have you REALLY tried rousing him? If he won't rouse then 999 now.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Wed 02-Jan-13 13:47:16


OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:47:36

Right - I've done the symptom checker with the info you have given here and it recommends to call an ambulance.

Sugarice Wed 02-Jan-13 13:47:52

Give his symtoms to NHS direct, they will send am ambulance if they consider his symtoms serious, which they should!

fanjodisfunction Wed 02-Jan-13 13:47:56

I agree with above posts if he's totally unresponsive then ring 999 but if you don't think that's best then ring NHS direct, you need to be told what to do by a health professional.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:48:42

Just ring now please. If the only thing that happens is that the operator tells you to get to your GP at 2pm, then fine.

But I think if you call 999 there will be an ambulance with you in under 10 mins.

RyleDup Wed 02-Jan-13 13:49:03

I would ring 999 and they will go through their checklist. If you can't wake him properly then I think they will almost certainly send an abulance. Dont waste time over this.

Maryz Wed 02-Jan-13 13:49:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gymboywalton Wed 02-Jan-13 13:50:01

please please don't take any chances with your baby's health
always better to be safe than sorry

ChristabelChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 13:50:22

If it were me I would get him to A&E ASAP or call 999. You can't be too careful with your child's health so please do some proactive NOW. I'm worried about him so you definitely should be. Hope he's ok - I'm sure he will be but you have to make sure.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:51:06

OP - it's a symptom of meningitis. If you really can't wake him you need medical attention immediately.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: