Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS still asleep, what to do?

(950 Posts)
ClutchingPearls Wed 02-Jan-13 13:18:09

DS is 15 months, been generally a bit grumpy for a week. Last night he was especially grumpy so calpol'ed him at put him to bed, he had a slight temperature. He hasnt woken since.

Waiting for an "urgent" call from GP nurse which will be this afternoon or possibly this evening.

Nothing specific, slight temp, was occasionally pulling at ears, decreased appetite. But he's completely un rousable, changed nappy with DD1 and 2 in the room jumping about and he just slept. He obviously is responsive because I've got a few oz of water into him and nurophen in him. But I cant wake him any more than that. So he's been asleep for 17 hours looks poorly but not collapsed. Occasional small cry but by the time I've got to his door he's asleep again.

So MNers should I call the GPs again, NHS direct or am I just wittling about nothing and let him sleep it off. DD2 has complex medical needs and I'm always on the ball with her getting her seen as appropriate. But a normal "abit unwell and sleeping child" has completely thrown me.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:19:07

Call GP again.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:20:12

Actually, I'd call the gp and say that you need seeing now, when can they fit you in?

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 02-Jan-13 13:20:43

Does he open his eyes and focus on you before drifting off again?

If not I would a&e.

If he does I'd try the GP again and ask if you can speak on the phone.

Iggly Wed 02-Jan-13 13:22:08

Call and explain. They should be able to fit you in.

My ds has been like this but once he's had ibuprofen he was up and about.

FairyJen Wed 02-Jan-13 13:22:34

I would be worried to be honest. Gp Definately I would also see if I could rouse him fully iyswim

Sugarice Wed 02-Jan-13 13:22:36

I would call GP and NHS direct immediately.

I would be very alarmed if my child was still sleeping after 17 hours uninterrupted but I am a worrier!

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:23:26

Does your GP shut for lunch? Ours always closes at 1pm before afternoon surgery - might be worth ringing them asap if this is the case

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:24:23

Try and wake him properly - sit him on your lap and try and get him conscious.

Tbh if you can't wake him I'd be v worried.

SquirtedPerfumeUpNoseInBoots Wed 02-Jan-13 13:24:51

I would call. You should be able to get him to focus on you.

Hope hes ok.

CheungFun Wed 02-Jan-13 13:32:16

Im a worrier and have not got any experience, but I think I'd get him down to A&E and just get him checked out.

My GP wanted me to take DS to A&E when he was 2 weeks old because she was worried his breathing was too fast. The dr at A&E clearly thought the GP was being silly, but he checked out DS and was not at all bothered at having his time 'wasted'.

Better to put your mind at ease IMO.

fanjodisfunction Wed 02-Jan-13 13:32:49

Ring NHS direct.

I hope he's ok.

cakesonatrain Wed 02-Jan-13 13:33:24

My brother once slept for 17 hours. My mum made my dad go and check in him because she was too scared to. He has always loved his sleep!

However, in this situation, I would try very hard to wake him, and get medical advice soonest.

OohMrDarcy Wed 02-Jan-13 13:34:22

I would ring nhs direct personally

orangepudding Wed 02-Jan-13 13:35:01

I would get him checked our as soon as you can. The fact you can wake him after 17 hours is worrying

orangepudding Wed 02-Jan-13 13:35:35

The fact you can't

ClutchingPearls Wed 02-Jan-13 13:36:37

Eyes have been closed even when giving the water, which was cold so I thought that might provoke a response.

GP has just repeated that we are on the call back list for the triage nurse and she would call back later. No doctors available to talk to.

GP is about 1/4 hour walking distance from us (can't use taxis because of DD) they start appontments again at 2. I'm thinking of walking there and turning up just as doctors walk throught to start thier appontments. Then either I can do a loud announcement that he's un rousable and hope they see him or the triage nurse who should be ringing can see him when she's due to call.

DizzyHoneyBee Wed 02-Jan-13 13:38:33

NHS Direct or A&E.

Sirzy Wed 02-Jan-13 13:38:41

if he is so ill you cant wait for a gp then go to A and E

MrsMushroom Wed 02-Jan-13 13:39:16

Get to casualty....this happened to my DD and she was seriously dehydrated.

MrsMushroom Wed 02-Jan-13 13:39:52

Wait no longer...casualty now

malteserzz Wed 02-Jan-13 13:40:40

I agree with A and E and hope he's ok

Banderchang Wed 02-Jan-13 13:40:57

I would go to A&E

fanjodisfunction Wed 02-Jan-13 13:41:33

If that's the case then A&E now.

OwlCatMouse Wed 02-Jan-13 13:41:45

Ring NHS Direct now (0845 46 47). If they're concerned they will recommend an ambulance to A&E I suspect.

He probably is just ill and really tired, it's most likely nothing to worry about, but if you really can't wake him you need to be seen soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: