Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Babu vomiting days after D&V bug

(10 Posts)
Bearwantsmore Wed 19-Dec-12 19:17:45

DS (8 months) had a D&V bug (norovirus??) at the end of last week, with 2-3 days of horrendous diarrhoea and constant vomiting. After day 3 he seemed totally back to his normal self BUT has still been vomiting once a day. Yesterday he was sick in the evening having had nothing but BM all day. Today (day 6) was the first day he's had proper food but he did then bring it all back up again, albeit hours later.

Should be worried? does he still have the bug or could it just be that his stomach is now a bit sensitive?

And does anyone have any suggestions of bland food I could be giving him? He is v keen to eat but i'd like to avoid any more sick!!
Thanks you!

Also does anyone

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 19-Dec-12 22:15:29

It's good that you are bfing as you know he is getting everything he needs from you. How is he in himself? Does he seem to be getting better? Is he bright and alert at times?

BeaWheesht Wed 19-Dec-12 22:54:56

This is normal Ime but keep eye out for signs of dehydration.

Also could try the BRAT diet - banana, rice, apple, toast

Bearwantsmore Thu 20-Dec-12 00:03:12

Thanks both. Yes, he is very well in himself - bright, alert, smiley, active! That's why I think he has actually recovered and is just suffering from a secondary "irritated stomach" thing. Thanks for the advice on the BRAT diet, I will try that tomorrow. Today he had yoghurt plus some porridge made with milk so maybe it was the dairy which doesn't agree with him?

Anyway, I'm not too worried as he's definitely showing no signs of dehydration. I suppose I am a bit concerned about whether he's likely to be infectious anymore - we've been in near isolation for nearly a week and quite frankly I'm bored!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Dec-12 10:22:36

CN handstand why you are bored. It could very well be the dairy that's irritating his stomach, I'd stick with the bfing and not offer any dairy for a couple of days.

Bearwantsmore Thu 20-Dec-12 12:26:45

Thanks JJJ. If it is the dairy, would it make a difference what I am eating? Should I be eliminating dairy from my diet too?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Dec-12 12:31:35

Bloody ipad, that should say can understand!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Dec-12 12:34:42

I wouldn't unless you already know that Lo is sensitive to it. There are people on here who know far more about dairy than me but I just know that from my experience milk, yoghurt and cheese can irritate my stomach at times. You may want to talk to a BFC before eliminating anything from your diet. Have you got the helpline numbers?

Bearwantsmore Thu 20-Dec-12 14:37:32

Good plan. I was thinking about how I would go about eliminating dairy for myself and it is pretty daunting - would entail a huge overhaul of my entire diet! Obv I'm prepared to do it if it will help but right now I don't know that. So I'm going to cut it from DS's and continue with mainly BM for now. There is a BF cafe with a fantastic councillor that meets tomorrow so I'll pop along there if it's open.

ballroomblitz Thu 20-Dec-12 23:33:12

After norovirus some people can develop a secondary lactose intolerance. It does go after a short period of time but sounds like cutting out dairy for a few days may help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now