Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poorly DS had ++keytones in urine last night, advice on dehydration please

(4 Posts)
bootus Tue 18-Dec-12 20:31:07

My ds has been really poorly for 10 days, has this awful cough, tonsilitis, an ear infection etc. His temperature has been spiking a lot throughout this time.

After initially being given amoxycillin which obviously wasn't working he was put on penicillin yesterday morning. Last night his temp was 40 and not responding to meds so we took him to a&e. They gave him extra calpol/nurofen according to his weight which helped with the fever. The urine sampled showed ++keytones which apparently is lack of food and drink. I was keeping an eye out for dehydration but has has been drinking a lot and was urinating so I was surprised. My issue is that he has only done 3 (small/dark) wees since 5pm last night despite me literally making him sip water/juice/milkshakes every 5 mins. He has been a bit livelier this afternoon but his chest stilll sounds awful and the dr said last night that the cough can help to cause dehydration with constantly spluttering and obv the temp. Is this something I need to chase up or is 3 wees ok given the circumstances?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Dec-12 20:46:55

Ketones principally occur when the body access stores (usually of fat) to provide the energy the body requires so more lack of food than drink.
Only small very dark urinations are suggestive of dehydration. I find with my DD that actually the most effective thing is sucking ice chips.

bootus Tue 18-Dec-12 21:11:02

Thanks lcwk, that wasn't really explained last night. I will get some ice chips and hope that as the tonsils go down his food intake increases.

dikkertjedap Tue 18-Dec-12 21:33:27

Maybe let him sip rehydration drinks (dioralyte) - you will regularly have to replace it as it only keeps for a limited time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now