Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croup and tonsilitis help-Please

(6 Posts)
MadCap Mon 17-Dec-12 21:39:58

Hello kind and helpful mnetters! My very poorly dd (3) was diagnosed with croup and tonsilitis this evening by the gp. She was prescribed a course of steroids for tonight and antibiotics to start tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do in the meanwhile to relieve her cough? She's coughing so much that she's not hold anything down. I'm also struggling to get the steroids down her as she doesn't like the taste of them diluted in water. Anybody got any helpful hints and tips?!?

dikkertjedap Mon 17-Dec-12 21:48:51

It is very important she gets the steroids as they should help with the croup.

Can you mash the steroids and put them in chocolate petit filous or a teaspoon nutella?

Would giving her luke warm chamomile tea help a little with the coughing? Did the GP not give you any advice, like putting her in a steamy room (shower) or to take her out in the cold? Would sucking ice lollies maybe help? If unsure, I would contact NHS Direct for advice TBH.

Ninjacat Mon 17-Dec-12 21:52:26

Steam. Lots of it.
My gp had me boiling kettles in the bedroom (must be out of all reach of course)

Ninjacat Mon 17-Dec-12 21:53:22

oh and honey, on a spoon, for poorly throat.

MadCap Mon 17-Dec-12 22:00:50

The gp didn't really give a lot of advice other than to take her to a&e or ooh's if we thought she was getting any worse.

Steam is a good idea. Dd gets tonsilitis alot and that is easy enough to help. She just won't stop coughing. DH stayed up with her on the sofa last night and looks like he'll be doing the same tonight (I've got a long return trip to Heathrow tomorrow) We're currently bribing her with Christmas tree chocolate to get her to drink the steroid mixture.

Sirzy Mon 17-Dec-12 23:15:19

Cold air is reccomended for croup rather than steam now.

What Steroid has she got? When dS has prednisilone we mix it with blackcurrant juice to get it in (small amount in syringe) but normally for croup he is given dexmethasone which it's a case of pin down and give!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now