Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsillitis, school and antibiotics, need some advice?

(9 Posts)
SushiPaws Mon 17-Dec-12 15:06:36

Dd was at doc first thing this morning as she has white spots on her tonsils. Got penicillin of which she's had 2 doses. Her temp is fine and she's managed to eat some food.
She is incredibly bored. She's 5 and loves school.
If she continues to have normal temp, do I send her to school tomorrow? Also if she goes, she's meant to have penicillin before lunch, do teachers do this kind of thing?

Sirzy Mon 17-Dec-12 15:10:09

You need to check the schools policy. DS nursery will only give antibiotics after they have been taking them for 48 hours, some schools won't give them at all

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 17-Dec-12 15:37:01

this came up recently The consensus was antib's before school, straight after school and at bedtime, providing she is well enough to attend school, no temp etc

3littlefrogs Mon 17-Dec-12 15:40:44

I would not be sending my child to school to give bacterial tonsillitis to anyone else. Another child might get really ill with it.

MrsJourns Mon 17-Dec-12 15:49:10

She should not be in school until the White spots have completely cleared up, as pp said you don't want her passing it around. Remember she might be fine at home, but school is a completely different environment- busy, bustling, noisy and full on (I say this as a teacher). I'd wait until her tonsils have been clear for 24hrs, I'm sure other pupils and classmates don't want tonsillitis for Christmas.

SushiPaws Mon 17-Dec-12 17:04:27

Thank you.
I would hate to pass it on. The school policy has no exclusion for tonsillitis, they can go back when they feel better.
I'll keep her off until the white has all gone and an extra day to be sure.
Thank you for the replies.

Badvocsanta Mon 17-Dec-12 17:56:11

Please be aware that after a few doses the ABs themselves can cause issues such as nausea and diahorrea.
I would be keeping her off all week if it were me tbh.
Tonsillitis is horrid.
Hope she feels better soon.

SledsImOn Mon 17-Dec-12 18:00:25

We had antibiotics for ds2 (who is also 5) the other week.
I filled in the complicated form at the school office, the bottle was put in the fridge, and they didn't give it to him. Apparently the TA I'd told wasn't in that day and the office had no remit to go and remind him hmm

the next day we tried again - told his teacher, she said she'd send him just before lunch. He told me he hadn't had it - she said she had sent him 'with a friend'. Turns out they never made it to the office.

I gave up after that and kept him at home till the course was finished, school didn't say a word, I think they realised they were crap, and I had no alternative.

SledsImOn Mon 17-Dec-12 18:01:15

by the way ds was fine in himself for most of his time off. I hope your dd is better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now