Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should we continue with the antibiotics?

(15 Posts)
SavoirFaire Sat 15-Dec-12 23:03:54

DD is 14mo and on antibiotics for a recurring ear infection - augmentin. She's taken 4 times and has vomited an hour after every dose - quite badly. Should we continue to give her the antibiotics? Have called NHS direct who said they'd get our out of hours doctor to call us 'within the hour' - that was 4 hours ago. We're not sure what we should do for next dose tomorrow morning. Any ideas?

dikkertjedap Sat 15-Dec-12 23:09:56

Not finishing a course could result in antibiotics resistance, so is not recommended.

Augmentin must have been prescribed for a good reason, as in most cases ear infections are not treated with antibiotics. I would therefore keep giving it unless told otherwise by GP.

Has she had augmentin before?

XBenedict Sat 15-Dec-12 23:14:24

Doesn't sound like she's tolerating them does it poor little thing. Hopefully you'll get a call soon and get her on some different antibiotics. I know you are supposed to complete the course but as she's not tolerating them I would stop.

Was she being sick before you started the antibiotics?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 15-Dec-12 23:18:48

I think I would stop them and take to ooh first thing in morning for an alternative. sad

SavoirFaire Sat 15-Dec-12 23:32:04

She hasn't had augmentin before, wasn't being sick before taking this medicine and it really does seem to be linked - she is fine otherwise. She was prescribed Aug because amoxicillin didn't knock an ear infection on the head a few weeks ago. I know not finishing a course of antibiotics is bad news in terms of resistance but I would have also thought giving a 1 yr old something that you know is going to make her sick is also bad news. Which is why we called NHSdirect... I gues ooh tomorrow is inevitable. Thanks.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 15-Dec-12 23:33:16

Augmentin is a penicillin antibiotic is their any history of allergy in your family?

SavoirFaire Sat 15-Dec-12 23:35:53

Not really and I don't think she can be allergic as she has had amoxicillin before. Vomiting is listed as a side effect of augmentin, but I can't find any advice on whether you should continue to take if vomiting (particularly for such young children).

XBenedict Sat 15-Dec-12 23:40:04

She's not allergic just not tolerating it. My DD is the same with Augmentin, throws it up within a hour of taking it. As you say it's a known side effect. I hate it when they're ill sad

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sat 15-Dec-12 23:41:37

I wouldn't have thought she would have absorbed much of it if she's been sick within an hour to be honest sad it can be notoriously harsh on the GI tract . I hope you can speak to someone first thing as there must be an alternative poor little baby sad

SavoirFaire Sat 15-Dec-12 23:46:17

Thanks. XBenedict - does gp prescribe
Something different for your DD if she doesn't tolerate augmentin or do you just had to go along with the vomit...?

XBenedict Sat 15-Dec-12 23:48:22

We were prescribed something different can't remember what though. I'm sure your GP or the OOH GP will put through another prescription. i hope she gets better soon. smile

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 16-Dec-12 18:59:26

Did u get an alternative ? smile

SavoirFaire Sun 16-Dec-12 21:36:19

Got something from ooh. Will have to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 16-Dec-12 22:40:16

Really hope your dd tolerates it better. smile

XBenedict Mon 17-Dec-12 18:14:19

Is she keeping this one down? Hope she gets better soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now