Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High temperatures

(12 Posts)
Smickname Tue 11-Dec-12 20:46:44

Probably lots know lots about this- especially at this time of year- but any hints as to how to bring down a 5 year old's temperature? I've alternated calpol and nurofen in the max recommended doses, doused him with cool flannels and stripped him down etc. he's been hallucinating basically for 12 hours, with some reprieve. Seen 3 docs in the meanwhile who say its a virus and we must ride it out. Lots of fluids have gone down, and he has eaten a little. Hasn't been sick, except for once- last night. So so worried... Not sure what else I can do???

dikkertjedap Tue 11-Dec-12 20:58:10

How is his breathing? How high is his fever?

If you are still worried in spite of the GPs take him to A&E. In my case GPs made a near fatal mistake by diagnosing something persistently as a virus which wasn't.

winnybella Tue 11-Dec-12 21:02:16

Does the temp come down at all? And if so, for how long?

Agree with dikker, A&E might be a good idea. DD had swine flu last year and a temp of 41, but even then it came down with calpol/nurofen (although it took longer and stayed down for shorter periods than it usually does with run of the mill illnesses).

Smickname Tue 11-Dec-12 21:07:06

It comes down but tends to go back up fairly quickly. Just been in to check on him. Sleeping and took temp which is down for the moment (comparatively) at 37. What are the other swine flu symptoms? Am I being paranoid?

dikkertjedap Tue 11-Dec-12 21:15:32

Okay, 37 is not fever. It would have to be more 37.8 (and I would usually start thinking fever at 38). High fever is 39 and higher. Very high fever is 41 and higher. At 42 you end up with brain damage/death.

If it goes down to 37 I would not expect hallucinations, does he still have hallucinations? It could be he is over the worse now.

Usually (not always) if it is serious, temp is high, i.e. 40 plus (often up to 41.5) all the time, with calpol, with calprofen, day and night. Then all warning signs should be on, same with breathing difficulties obviously.

beautifulgirls Tue 11-Dec-12 21:18:57

No, don't feel paranoid. If you are worried seek medical help again. It took 3 visits over 36hrs for someone to finally realise my daughter was seriously ill last year. She then ended up in intensive care fighting for her life (and won the battle thankfully).

It is more than likely "just a virus" but it can not be harmful if you are worried to seek further checks and reassurance. Doctors will not think you are wasting their time if you are worried. A&E if needs be, as suggested above.

beautifulgirls Tue 11-Dec-12 21:20:20

www.meningitis.org/symptoms just worth taking a look too...

Smickname Tue 11-Dec-12 21:20:32

I agree and am v relieved that the current reading is 37. Just been so high around 40/41 for 12 hours now I'm just expecting it to still be there. Before bed, it was 39 but has seemed to come down in his sleep- so far. Thank you for you help- as you say, hopefully worst is over.

ZhenThereWereTwo Tue 11-Dec-12 21:24:58

Stop the cool flannels, they can cause vasoconstriction which can prevent the body from cooling itself naturally. Dress lightly, keep up the fluids and provide distractions. Fever in itself is the bodies way of fighting off pathogens. High fevers caused by external heat are the ones to worry about except in young babies, unless there are certain other symptoms (see link below).

Use NICE traffic light guidance to keep yourself calm.

CindySherman Tue 11-Dec-12 21:30:45

Hallucinations are over 40 poor little thing he must be a scrap. 12 hours of such a high temp. Are they sure this isn't an infection?

Smickname Tue 11-Dec-12 21:41:29

The temp is creeping up again. I've checked the meningitis symptoms and so have the docs so I'm confident ( as I can be) on they front. I'm more concerned about this persistent high temp. But thank you all for the tips.

dikkertjedap Tue 11-Dec-12 21:51:20

How is his breathing? Does he cough? You could also do the nailbed test to check oxygen levels, you can google to find how to do it, but basically you push firmly with the tip of your finger on the nailbed and then keep pushing whilst you move the tip of your finger to the tip of his finger. His nail will go white and should become nice and pink again within 1 second or so (virtually immediately).

If the temperature goes up to 40 or higher again and if it does not come down with maximum allowed doses of calpol AND calprofen and you are concerned, even if you cannot put your finger on why, I would take him to A&E.

Don't forget, sure you already know this, calpol and calprofen take some time to work, sometimes up to 1 hour. That is why it is best to space them out over a 24 hour period and give them when they are due to keep constant levels (also better with respect to pain control).

Also, very important that he drinks and wees. Could he have a UTI? Boys can get it as well. Does he have sore throat, swollen glands, open wound which may be infected???? Insect bite?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now