Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Terrible earache

(8 Posts)
IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Mon 10-Dec-12 20:55:36

Help. DD 8 is crying in pain. She has had 10mls ibuprofen 2 hours ago and 10mls calpol just now. The ibuprofen worked intermittently for about half an hour.
Have also put olive oil in ear, bit of garlic in ear, massaged behind ear, hot water bottle to ear, made her blow her nose and chew gum. Thanks for nothing doctor google.
Have checked her for meningitis symptoms too. Negative.

What the hell else can I do?

Nevercan Mon 10-Dec-12 21:33:34

Take her to the nearest walk in centre for antibiotics for the earache

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Mon 10-Dec-12 21:42:00

Ok the calpol has reduced the yelling to the odd murmur and she is lying on the sofa. Thank you Calpol.
I just hope it lasts longer than the ibuprofen.

Nevercan I have had the lecture from my GP on how antibiotics are not routinely handed out for ear infections. I was shown the model of an ear and the picture. I felt two inches tall. Plus I have no car and my nearest walk in is miles away. Thank you for at least posting though. If it comes to it we could cab to the walk in I guess.

incywincyspideragain Mon 10-Dec-12 21:45:43

sounds like you have done everything... sad do you have any decongestant? maybe that would help relieve some of the pressure....

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 11-Dec-12 11:56:38

Thank you. She slept through till around 12.30 had some ibuprofen then and has been fine since. Having a day off school though. I hate ear infections.

dikkertjedap Tue 11-Dec-12 20:56:06

If she has a very bad cold you may want to consider Sudafed in future to reduce the risk of ear infections. Alternatively, frequent use of salt water drops/spray to clear the nose as best as possible to reduce the risk of ear infection.

Hopefully she is over the worst now.

6692mumof3 Tue 11-Dec-12 22:40:33

I agree with the last post sudafed is very good help also new era tissue salts for catarrh helped my little boy ..

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Tue 11-Dec-12 22:50:51

I shall remember sudafed for any future episodes, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now