Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any experience of broken thumbs ?

(4 Posts)
Fluffy101 Mon 10-Dec-12 17:10:20

My DS Aged 5 fell over at school today and said his thumb went the wrong way. He has swelling at the base of his thumb onto the pad at the side if that makes sense. He says it hurts when I press it lightly.

He can't reach is thumb to his little finger ur has managed to hold a crayon.

Is this likely to be broken or a sprain. Don't want to sit for hours at a & e only to find its bruised!

Skang Tue 11-Dec-12 10:05:07

Can he move it? I would wait to see how it is in a few hours.

fengirl1 Tue 11-Dec-12 10:19:48

I would get it checked - dd1 managed to break hers when little and it was no big deal, she had a 'cast ' made by bandaging with Elastoplast sticky side out which was then dusted with talc to get rid of the stickiness. All v clever... Was a pain in the bum for getting dressed though!

Fluffy101 Tue 11-Dec-12 21:39:52

Thanks all sat in a&e for 3 1/2 hrs last night had it x-rayed no main bones broken he has just badly stretched a ligament bless him. It's a nice shade of black tonight

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: