Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How many days can you give calpol/ibuprofen for?

(7 Posts)
Geekster Sat 08-Dec-12 18:38:52

My dd is teething and seems to be in pain, not all the time. We have been using teething gel and alternating with doses of ibuprofen and calpol. She usually only needs one dose of each a day but he has needed it every day for six days now. Is this ok? As the teething is going to go on for a while I think. She got to nine months with no teeth and seems to be getting them all at once, I can see them all in her gums. We are also tying the natural herbal teetha granules along side.

Any advice appreciated

BeaWheesht Sat 08-Dec-12 19:03:22

When you say 'needed it' what do you mean? If you're sure it's just her teeth and nothing which needs medical attention then it's fine to give her painkillers for a while but tbh I think after almost a week is be trying to lay off them a bit but that's just my opinion.

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 19:05:03

Some people don't believe in "teething". It depends how poorly he is. If he has a high temperature and is grouchy then you should take him to the doctor after this amount of time.

Geekster Sat 08-Dec-12 19:48:13

She had had a stomach bug as well, but seems over that now. She is trying to chew/bite everything in sight and keeps poking at her gums with her tongue. She seems to need it as in she moves her mouth as though her teeth are hurting, I only give her it if I feel she needs it. One of her bottom teeth has broken through and the others are showing signs of doing so. She has only had one dose of calpol today and it helped she hasn't needed any since this morning or any ibuprofen.

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 19:57:49

Well, maybe see if she can cope without it- does she start crying a lot more without it? I think it's fine occassionally, but you don't want to use it all the time and teething goes on for ages as you know.

forevergreek Sat 08-Dec-12 20:03:37

Unless she has a high temp ( over 39), or is crying in pain I wouldn't give any

seeker Sun 09-Dec-12 07:48:02

Honestly, I wouldn't give that much on a "seems to need it" basis. If she's distractible, happy to play and not crying, I would stop giving it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now