Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Same tummy bug - for 3 weeks?

(9 Posts)
upinthehills Thu 29-Nov-12 15:56:58

DS1 (6) was sick 3 weeks ago - proper tummy bug with cramps and throwing up water. Lasted through the night and was okay if weak the next few days - had a couple of days off school.

But, all these weeks later, he is really not over it - still complaining off and on of having a sore tummy and is off his food (though not consistently). He is doing things like after school gym one day and then the next day is tummy is too sore for swimming (which he loves).

He was up through the night with a sore tummy last night and was anxious he was going to be sick so I kept him off today.

Is it time to see a Dr or is this just a very lingering virus? Unsure as he is flopping between being okay and not. Anyone else got this bug?

Hormonalhell Thu 29-Nov-12 17:47:20

Maybe the bug has just frightened him and has a little anxiety of it happening again. Might just be a nervous tummy.

Pancakeflipper Thu 29-Nov-12 17:52:46

Has it upset his system and he's got a bit of constipation or a sore tummy? Keep the food bland ( plain crisps are good - got the carbs, salt, fat etc) and small amounts .

Or as Hormonalhell says perhaps he is very wary and a little scared.

Marne Thu 29-Nov-12 17:53:09

take him to the gp, if he was violently sick when he had the bug he may have damaged the lining of his stomach (i did this when i was a kid), if he has it can take sometime to heel. You could try giving him a probiotic and be careful what you feed him (stick to plain foods).

It could also be anxiety, it doesn't sound like he still has a bug (or he would be being sick still).

Hope he feels better soon xx

CindySherman Thu 29-Nov-12 17:55:09

If it was noro/rota virus that can upset a child's system for a very long time indeed it is a very nasty, potent bug. It is also possible he is anxious about vomiting again.

upinthehills Thu 29-Nov-12 18:04:25

Thanks for the replies - yes I think he is a bit anxious - we found him sleeping on the floor this morning as he was worried he was going to be sick in his bed. I do think though that, as well as being worried about throwing up, he does have a sore tummy too. No constipation, if anything a bit loose but seems ok today. We had pasta pesto tonight and he ate a bit, but happily ate crumpets earlier today.

Will go the GP early next week if this persists over the weekend for sure.

SummerRain Thu 29-Nov-12 19:37:10

Ds2 had a vicious tummy bug two weeks ago and has intermittently complained of a sore tummy and feeling sick since then. He started violently throwing up again a few hours ago so its entirely possible your ds has a similar bug.

Ds1 once vomited intermittently for over two weeks! There are so many viruses and every child responds differently. Abd don't forget, having one virus doesn't preclude them fron catching another at the sane time.

Pancakeflipper Thu 29-Nov-12 19:44:01

I would remove dairy from their diet for a few weeks - it can irritate the tummy.

upinthehills Thu 29-Nov-12 20:25:28

SummerRain sorry about your DS - that is rough - fingers crossed we don't get phase 2 here - I had hoped that was well past us. DS1 will freak a bit to be sick all over again. I have not removed, but drastically cut back on dairy, so no cereal for brekkie, toast and eggs only and no milk to drink or yoghurt. Still giving cheese so may cut that out too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now