Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

May I have permission to gloat?

(5 Posts)
DancyPants Thu 29-Nov-12 12:43:07

DS has had juvenile arthritis for 13 years and had injections of methotrexate for 12 of those years. He's also had to have routine monthly blood tests throughout and has been taking injections of Etanercept twice a week for about a year now. He's also, from time to time over the years, had various other jabs, intravenous bits and bobs and a lot of joint injections. Poor lad's like a pin cushion.

After years of angst, needle-phobia, kicking, fighting, escaping, begging, pleading, crying, screaming, fear, anger and locking himself in the toilet...
he's started to do his own injections
Words cannot describe how I feel. It is wonderful.

It means he'll be fully independent when he goes on his school trip to the Far East in the spring. It means he can be fully independent. sniff

Am I allowed to gloat?

Marne Thu 29-Nov-12 14:28:58

Well done him (and you), my friends little girl has just started injections (she's 3) and i cant imagine how hard it must be.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 29-Nov-12 14:30:41

Yes! I can't imagine what you have gone through to get him to that point. Awesome.

DancyPants Thu 29-Nov-12 16:39:05

To be fair, he's at boarding school and it's the lovely wonderful beautiful nurses that have done much of the hard work so credit must go to them.
It's a mark of the maturity he's showing and the fact that, as wrenching as it is, he's at the right school where he's being very much cared for. It also shows how prepared he is to do the difficult chore of self medicating (with such nasty stuff, too) because of the opportunities he's now able to take advantage of. He knows how lucky he is and he's very happy.

Thank you for your kind permissions. It's only the first step, but it's so much bigger than I could have hoped for.

Lougle Thu 29-Nov-12 20:53:11

That is fantastic smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now